No announcement yet.

What would be your reaction to permanent open scoring

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by FeFist View Post
    I think the ref should know the scorecard so that they can stop the fight if one guy is getting pummelled and has zero chance of winning. I don't think the fighters should know as it would result in more fighters coasting from the mid-late rounds.
    It may also make the losing fighter more aggressive and have a sense of urgency to win by KO.

Comment

Originally posted by Jc8804 View Post
      Fans in the arena would boo. And judges would then become more accountable for their card.
      Im in favor off having the judges be interviewed at the post fight pressers.

Fighters who run and kill time would lose fans and
      Tv interest. They would hurt their own bank account imo. It would have to be done for a full 2 years. You may have guys go harder in the first 6 rounds as well imo. Strategies become more open and in depth. Guys like roach hunter and floyd sr may have a losing fighter. And need their guy to attack more. Boxers may have to fight more. Fighters may choose to box more. Imo it helps over a long haul.
      I don't think that booing fans would make a judge start to change his score. First of all, he couldn't change what he's already done and secondly, who cares? What if you're in someone's hometown and the fans are booing the score but their guy is actually losing? Maybe the fans are wrong. And also I think that more pressure comes after the fight when you can have someone explain why they judged an entire fight the way that they did and not just part of it.

And I don't think it would work, but if it did, I think you'd need more than two years. I think you'd need a significant change in the culture of the sport to the point where you'd have televised fights with ringside reporters actually interviewing judges in between rounds about how they score the previous round on camera. Right now, that's unheard of and I think it's at least half a decade away if they moved in that direction.

Comment

Its up to the losing fighter to press the fight .its also up to the fans to stand up for their sport.

Also up to the media to call things out.
        We have social media as well.

Its one thing to be biased for your fighter. Its a whole other thing to allow corruption
        Last edited by Jc8804; 10-06-2015, 02:43 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by -Kev- View Post
          It may also make the losing fighter more aggressive and have a sense of urgency to win by KO.
          Have there been any examples of this?

Open scoring has been used enough times to have the data necessary to make a proper conclusion if good or bad. Based on the dozen or so times I've seen open scoring live, I can't think of a single example where it made the fight better.

Comment

Not a fan of open scoring. I have seen too many fighters take the last few rounds off because they knew they could not lose. If crooked judges are the problem go after them, everything else is just a bandaid.

Comment

I'm for open scoring cuz I think fighters should know where they stand at any point in the fight. Thing is I think there are bigger problems with scoring like judges being held accountable & the level of subjectiveness with scoring. Right now I don't believe judges are being penalized for bad decisions although there is an argument the scoring criteria is so open for discussion that unless a guy is drastically outlanded or gets dropped a judge could score the round for either guy & we see that happening all the time.

I'd also suggest if open scoring was standard you'd need some penalty for not engaging an opponent to some degree to prevent guys who won the first 8 rounds from just running for the next 4.

At the end of the day I'm for it primarily so the participants in the fight know whats working or not working & can go for broke if they are behind big on the card. I also think the excitement level when everyone knew for a fact the winner of the last round would win the fight would be more intense then anything we typically see.

Comment

Originally posted by ИATAS View Post
                Have there been any examples of this?

Open scoring has been used enough times to have the data necessary to make a proper conclusion if good or bad. Based on the dozen or so times I've seen open scoring live, I can't think of a single example where it made the fight better.
                People always throw this out, but the reality is open scoring has never been so widely rolled out & a regular part of the sport for guys to even develop many strategies involving open scoring, but confusingly I have seen many a guy down 7-1 after 8 not act very urgent in trying to get a KO which for the life of me I don't understand. Imma chalk that up to some boxers & trainers being slow to change or just slow. I think if open scoring was a part of the sport you'd see guys develop strategies & the game would change just a lil bit like it has numerous times when rules have been altered.

Comment

Do not want.

Comment

I like the element of surprise. Unfortunately most surprises recently have been robberies or lopsided decisions in close fights.

Comment

I'm mixed, it helps prevent robberies by putting more pressure on judges but you lose the suspense of waiting to see who gets the nod when a fights really close.

Comment

Working...
                      X