No announcement yet.

Mayweather vs. Cotto post fight Thread -DON'T make new threads about the fight

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by The Surgeon View Post
    First off What a great night of boxing!!! From Afolabi vs Huck and their barn burner ending in one of the most electric final rounds u will ever see to Shane Mosley putting in the work at 40years old against far bigger Saul Alvarez who impressed with speed and power to Miguel Cotto and Floyd Mayweather and their captivating high skill match up

Here is my Cotto vs Mayweather card

RD1: 10-9 FM
    RD2: 10-9 FM Closer but floyd's 3x right hands won it
    RD3: 10-9 FM close again, May has bust nose
    RD4: 10-9 FM
    RD5: 10-9 MC Tight round, i felt Cotto out hustled him
    RD6: 10-9 MC Even the highly biased BoxNation commentry had him winning
    RD7: 10-9 FM
    RD8: 10-9 MC Sheridan thinks the judges will give it to Cotto
    RD9: 10-9 MC Sheridan scored even, i liked Cotto's strength and pressure
    RD10: 10-9 MC Cotto edged it with body shots and staying busy for me
    RD11: 10-9 FM Punctuated with a Hattonesque Check hook, MC takes it well
    RD12: 10-9 FM Huge round for FM, Cotto hurt.

115-113 Floyd Mayweather

Closer than a lot of others from what i gather but i genuinely felt this was fair. Some of Floyd's rounds were Clearer cut and far more obvious, his ability is off the charts and when he is doing his thing its easy to get drawn in to only watching him... I think this happened to the Boxnation commentators (one of whom was Bob Sheridan who im a big fan of normally)
    Miguel fought the perfect fight, Diaz had him fitter, sharper and more focused than at any other point in his career - this was THE best Miguel Cotto i have seen. Floyd was just the better fighter as he had been 42 times previously. I thought the scores were harsh on Miguel and he must have felt sick, still it was disappointing to see him walk off without an interview. Mayweather is NOT boring. Thats just nonsense and im sick of hearing it, he is highly entertaining imo and well worth the price of a PPV card. Cotto is one of the better fighters of the last 20-30years imo and Mayweather at 35 facing prison a month later and fighting up at 154 won fairly and squarely with no help from the ref, no elbowing and no weight draining. Great fight.

Cotto got back to his body work in a big way in this fight without ever landing the lethal left hook downstairs to change Mayweather's perspective on breathing. Mayweather though puts in the ground work and is so well conditioned it shouldn't come as a huge surprise though im sure he must be feeling tender today.

Diaz and Cotto should have happened a LONG time ago, perfect match. THIS Cotto was a different beast altogether from the guy who faced Manny Pac. Miguel did himself and his fans proud last night and only lost narrowly to perhaps the greatest talent of the modern era in Floyd Mayweather.
    Can't see how 5, 9 and 10 can be scored for Cotto.

Especially 10.

I thought all 3 cards were an accurate view of the fight.

Comment

• Originally posted by jsfd26 View Post
      And that's the way he fades in late/championship rounds. To tell you the truth I had Cotto winning 5-4 up till the 10th round. Once the 10th came around he became more vulnerable and more passive. It seems like he suffers from Juanma syndrome, they fade in late rounds. It happened vs Margarito 1 (plasters or not), I had the feeling it was happening in Margarito 2, it happened vs Pacquiao and last night vs Mayweather. I think if Cotto didn't have this problem he would've beat Mayweather, in my scorecards at least. Now whether you had him winning or not you can't say he doesn't seem to fade late rounds.

Im not trying to talk **** about Cotto or knock on his game, Im just pointing out an issue that I see in him. It was a great fight by Cotto and a good performance. I truly was one of those guys who thought he was done after the first Margarito (even tho I bet on him for last night) but he proved me wrong. I had a feeling Diaz rejuvenated him from all the interviews and videos I watched and it seems like he did.
      What five rounds did you have Cotto winning at that point... and more importantly, why?

Comment

• Originally posted by THE_BIG_HURT View Post
        this is my feeling too. i thought floyd got the win but i come from a time when the close rounds go to the champion and theyre were many many close rounds.
        Watch the fight again...

Comment

• Originally posted by Silencers View Post
          For whatever reason Cotto just doesn't seem to get second winds. Most fighters blow through their first burst of energy in the first 5 rounds then they might slow down for a couple of rounds before getting a second burst of energy, Cotto doesn't seem to be able to get that second burst.
          Very true sir. I don't think we will ever see Cotto get any of those at this point of his career. Too far into his career and he's been and some damn wars.

Originally posted by THE_BIG_HURT View Post
          this is my feeling too. i thought floyd got the win but i come from a time when the close rounds go to the champion and theyre were many many close rounds.
          Unfortunately those times are gone. And this is how I had Cotto ahead coming into the 10th. But ultimately Floyd got the win, there wasn't any robbery.

Comment

• Cotto won two rds tops..Floyd owned him..

Comment

• Rofl,

Stick to watching dancing on Ice or something, you're clueless.

Comment

• I usually don't score a fight the first time around. I get more enjoyment out of it if I just watch. I'll take mental notes. If the bout is close or controversial, that's when I'll go back and score.

While Cotto put on a good show (much better than I expected), I didn't see him winning more than three rounds. A couple of rounds appeared close, but I thought Mayweather won those. It's possible that, if I scored later, I might see another round for Miguel; but it could also go the other way around. In any event, it was a clear win for Floyd. No need for me to check scores; it's academic.
                Last edited by CubanGuyNYC; 05-06-2012, 12:28 PM.

Comment

• Round 1-10-9 Floyd based on activity alone. Definitely a feel out round
                  Round 2-10-9 Miguel he didn't land anything too clean on the ropes but he landed enough to win the round
                  Round 3-10-9 Floyd he damn near dominted this round. Cotto landed 3 clean jabs and everthing else was rolled or blocked. Wow what great defense.
                  Round 4-10-9 Floyd more domination. He landed some clean right hads and his defesne is still trump tight(watching this live I though that was all she wrote for Miguel)
                  Round 5-10-9 Mayweather. Kudos to Cotto for ****ing BRINGING IT. He is fighting hard but even on the roped Floyd rolls and blocks all the punches and lands cleaner ones of his own.
                  Round 6-10-9 CottoThat circling left hook was the stuff of legends.
                  Round 7-10-9 Mayweather Based on activity and he landed th cleaner shots(watch the fight on mute the bias by Lampley in this round made me want to smack the screen)
                  Round 8-

On a side note just being "in" a round with Floyd is a shock to HBO announcers. They bash him and bash him but treat him like the God of boxing. Weird as hell.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rip Chudd View Post
                    Is is just me or did you also shake your head in disgust when Michael Buffer announced the fight was for the WBA Super Welterweight and the"WBC Diamond Belt Championship"?

Seriously, what the hell is that!?

No sanctioning body disgusts me more then the WBC
                    They all suck. The WBA has a "super champion", a "regular champion" and its rumored they're going to have a "slightly below average champion" next.

Comment

• Originally posted by Baracka Flocka View Post
                      Pedro Diaz has done a hell of a job with Cotto.

THis Version of Cotto defeats Alvarez, Kirkland and dare I say he may even top a 154 pound Martinez as well with what I've seen from Sergio as of late.

Floyd Mayweather only landed in the 20-30 % Percent range... and that's the ever so accurate Floyd MAYWEATHER!

Cotto is a top 5 fighter in the sport. Period.

Even in the lost Cotto's stock increased.
                      Martinez knocks Cotto out clean,the others you may be right...

Comment

Working...
                      X