No announcement yet.

Maurice Harris

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maurice Harris

I find him a very interesting fighter and a fairly tail of sorts.

He been a pro now 19 years. As a Amatuer he won 3 lost 6. And he's blew so hot and cold throughout his career to say the least.

Out of his 5 Pro fights he lost 3 of them. At one point Harris's record was 5-6-2. Dredfull I know.

But with that record he beats highly touted 18-0 David Izon. He KO'S Jimmy Thunder who'd just took John Ruiz to a SD. And by all accounts was robbed against Larry Holmes.

He's also beat Jeremy Williams, 16-0 Siarhei Liakhovich, Tony Thompson & Nagy Aguilera.

But yet he also can suffer defeats against unranked opponents like Gerald Nobles, Dale Brown, & be KO'd in 1 by Henry Akinwande & beaten by Tye Fields.

And now after a long hard career Harris is one fight away from a IBF world title shot. Which is pretty amazing, although a sign how bad the division is.

What are your thoughts on Harris.

Originally posted by Old Mongoose View Post

He been a pro now 19 years. As a Amatuer he won 3 lost 6. And he's blew so hot and cold throughout his career to say the least.

Out of his 5 Pro fights he lost 3 of them. At one point Harris's record was 5-6-2. Dredfull I know.

But with that record he beats highly touted 18-0 David Izon. He KO'S Jimmy Thunder who'd just took John Ruiz to a SD. And by all accounts was robbed against Larry Holmes.

He's also beat Jeremy Williams, 16-0 Siarhei Liakhovich, Tony Thompson & Nagy Aguilera.

But yet he also can suffer defeats against unranked opponents like Gerald Nobles, Dale Brown, & be KO'd in 1 by Henry Akinwande & beaten by Tye Fields.

And now after a long hard career Harris is one fight away from a IBF world title shot. Which is pretty amazing, although a sign how bad the division is.

I always thought of Harris as a spoiler. He could beat certain top fighters on any given night but he could also look terrible against any fighter on any given night.

Harris seems to be mostly known for that exciting but brutal KO loss to Derrick Jefferson. I honestly didn't even know he was still fighting. So his title elimination fight is news for me.

Comment

Harris most definitely was robbed against Holmes. Terrible decision shown live on the USA Network. One of the judge who scored it for Holmes...Harold "Housefighter" Ledderman.

Comment

Loved his fight with Jefferson, great fight!

Comment

He's a far better fighter than his record indicates thats for sure and i always found his style enjoyable, im a fan. I know Lennox Lewis rated him highly from their sparring sessions. Glad to hear he is getting a crack at a belt

Comment

He's a good fighter, but as his record shows, he is very inconsistent. I remember watching his fight with Chris Byrd. Byrd completely dominated him. That's no knock on Harris though. Byrd was a very skilled, aukward and underrated fighter. Who he just couldn't keep up with.

Comment

harris has had a decent career & has scored some upsets.he has made a good living as a pro sparring partner as well.in the 90's many of lennox lewis' opponents used him as a chief sparring partner because of his stature & style.at one point tyson was going to hire harris to help him for the lewis fight.lewis countered by offering harris $3500US\week to sit on his couch & NOT spar with tyson...12 week training camp...thats like $42000 to sit on his couch.when motivated harris is tough to hit & a very skilled boxer.his chin is questionable but alot of that has to do with his conditioning.he's won a regional belt by beating aguilera & since many of the higher ranked guys are either coming off fights,injured or have fights scheduled it has opened the door for him.as ive have said countless times how important these regional belts are...bermane stiverne owns 3 & his toughest fights were demetrice king & charles davis & hes 0-1-1 vs them.hes in line for an eliminator or possible title shot....

Comment

Originally posted by RINGG View Post
                Loved his fight with Jefferson, great fight!
                yes this was a great fight...actually both harris & jefferson have been in some good slugfests,especially jefferson

Comment

Don't forget he was koed by not-exactly-Tyson Fres Oquendo. That was some ko too.

Comment

Working...
                  X