No announcement yet.

Billy Conn

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Billy Conn

Will he be remembered just for the Louis fights or do people value his other work? Can you comment on some of his other accomplishments?

He'll likely be remebered for being the guy to almost beat Louis.

What he should be remembered for being one of the greatest LHW's of all time.

Billy Conn has an absolutely exceptional resume and was an absolutely exceptional fighter.

Comment

He's in the Pittsburgh museum,as is his Light heavyweight title. Though his bouts with Joe Louis will likely be his lasting impression.

Comment

Fought from 135-187 but was an atg lthvt in his prime.. Fought 21 world champions at one time or another. Had just about everything apart from concussive power in his artillery and with a little more poke, may well have beaten Louis in their first fight. Conn was winning it, and hit Louis a helluva lot in the 11th. Joe's lethal right hand may have eventually halted Conn in the 13th, but most observers at the time thought Joe was lucky.

Comment

Originally posted by mickey malone View Post
          Fought from 135-187 but was an atg lthvt in his prime.. Fought 21 world champions at one time or another. Had just about everything apart from concussive power in his artillery and with a little more poke, may well have beaten Louis in their first fight. Conn was winning it, and hit Louis a helluva lot in the 11th. Joe's lethal right hand may have eventually halted Conn in the 13th, but most observers at the time thought Joe was lucky.
          That is one amazing career I also believe he played the double to Erroll Flynn in the biopic about gentleman Jim Corbett.

Comment

Originally posted by rightsideup View Post
            That is one amazing career I also believe he played the double to Erroll Flynn in the biopic about gentleman Jim Corbett.
            Yes, i believe he did, was known for his matinee idol looks,

Comment

The incredible thing about Conn was that he had no amatuer background! He turned pro at 15 years old and immediately lost some fights to veteran fighters who he fought 2 and 3 times in his first year! This continued until he gained the experience he needed to take on more experienced fighters!!
              He could move beautifully and punch in combination and was a tuff kid also.
              I'm not sure his record is as good as a few others but his talents have always been noticed. When the didscussion go to LytHvy everyone talks Charles & Moore then Spinks and Foster but most forget about Conn! Billy would be as big as the more modern 175pouders at 6' 1 1/2" and his foot speed would be superior as Charles was. He might need to win decs because his overall power was questionable but he could hurt you!!! Terrific fighter one who seems to be forgotton at times but high skills and talents galore! Ray

Comment

Turned pro at 15? Isn't that more common among Hispanic fighters? I remember hearing that Barrera and Chavez Sr. both turned pro at 15 as well.

Comment

Originally posted by mickey malone View Post
                  Conn I believe thought that he could fnish the job and closed in, Joe remember was dehydrated in that fight to cut weight...

I think it was more of a bad judgement on Conn's part than bad luck...Louis actually was good enough to seize the oppurtunity when it arrived and knock Conn out.

Comment

Working...
                  X