Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why the silence during Chavez-Taylor 1?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Agreed, Scott9945 and to answer the original question, I'd say shock over a knockdown late in the fight caused the silence. Taylor did end up brain damaged anyway from sticking around too long because he was chasing that big win he was denied by Steele. And no, if any other ref made that decision I wouldn't change how I feel about that fight. Mils Lane or Steve Smoger would've probably given every chance to continue anyway.

Comment

I do hate their silence, then suddenly "If he gets up, he wins the fight." before that, they were saying Chavez doesn't have the stuff to get it done.

Comment

They were probably stunned that Steel stopped the fight with 2 seconds left to go in the fight.

Comment

it was a good stoppage taylor wasn't answering to steele questions and seem out of it is not the ref's job to know how much time is left on the round.

Comment

Originally posted by trank View Post
            it was a good stoppage taylor wasn't answering to steele questions and seem out of it is not the ref's job to know how much time is left on the round.
            Did you see the Barthelemy-Mendez fight the other day? The ref heard the 10 second warning and failed to get between the fighters at the bell. That caused Mendez to be KO's after the bell rang.

So of course it is the ref's job to know how much time is left in a round. And Steele was totally aware that the fight was basically over when he stopped it.
            Last edited by Scott9945; 01-05-2014, 12:02 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by mickey malone View Post
              Yes I wanted Taylor too.. Was the better boxer but Chavez had more in his tank to be the stronger puncher towards the end..
              Meldrick produced a masterful display, but punched himself out in doing it
              I think Chavez was actually the far better boxer, but he just struggled with the speed of Taylor, as most did. He was just so fast. Wasn't actually that great a boxer though, and was much too prone to making mistakes, getting hit too easily, and going to war.

Reminds me a bit of Mosley.

Comment

we can treat this like mayweather-castillo1... They had a rematch and chavez took him out in the 8th round

Comment

Originally posted by way2strong View Post
                  we can treat this like mayweather-castillo1... They had a rematch and chavez took him out in the 8th round
                  Mayweather fought Castillo less than 8 months later. The JCC/Taylor rematch was 4 1/2 years later....So no, that is hardly the same considering Taylor had been KO'd twice since their first fight.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott9945 View Post
                    Mayweather fought Castillo less than 8 months later. The JCC/Taylor rematch was 4 1/2 years later....So no, that is hardly the same considering Taylor had been KO'd twice since their first fight.
                    A really poor comparison.

I assume from your avatar you were in attendance at the second fight?

Comment

Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post
                      A really poor comparison.

I assume from your avatar you were in attendance at the second fight?
                      Yeah, that was my ticket. I'm moving soon so I'm finding some interesting odds and ends like that. Wanted to see how it would come out if I scanned it.

Comment

Working...
                      X