best boxing book you've ever read????

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

has anyone read Holyfields auto?

Comment

Currently reading That Night in The Garden. Very good, just random fights from Madison Square Garden. Louis v Walcott, Cooney v Norton, Hopkins v Trinidad, Duran v Moore, Greb v Tunney, Bowe v Golota. Real mixed bag but well researched and written, worth a go

Comment

Just came across this thread on a google search .I'm reading ring of hate Louis Schmeling ( hitlers hero and the bitter propoganda war) good read going to start reading more boxing books .
        http://www.amazon.com/Ring-Hate-Joe-...s=ring+of+hate

Comment

Read a Dempsey book, forgot the name though.

Harry Greb - Give him to the angels, was a great read

Georges Carpentier - The art of boxing ( if not mistaken )

Comment

Might go for unforgiveable blackness the rise and fall of Jack Johnson next .That night in the garden looks like a good read as well .

http://www.goodreads.com/list/show/6...ing_and_Boxers

Comment

Just finished The Professional by W.C. Heinz, was released in the fifties, its about a guy training for the biggest fight of his career. Won't spoil it but was really good read - funny how a lot of the characters in boxing - the jaded grumpy trainer, the hangers on, the wives, haven't really changed over the years.....

Was a realistic portrayal of what the game is all about, the tactics, the grooming of fighters from a young age.

Will check out these other suggestions, I really want to read the Dempsie book, have read snippets and would love to learn more about how he generated so much power

Comment

Originally posted by alza1988 View Post
                Just came across this thread on a google search .I'm reading ring of hate Louis Schmeling ( hitlers hero and the bitter propoganda war) good read going to start reading more boxing books .
                http://www.amazon.com/Ring-Hate-Joe-...s=ring+of+hate
                Just read through the reviews and it sounds like an excellent book. I'll be adding this to my collection in the near future.

For what it's worth, the Louis biography by Art and Edna Rust was very good though it's been years since I've read it. "Unforgivable blackness" was informative but a bit of a tedious read in my opinion. My personal favorite was the Barney Ross biography by Douglas Century. I've read it several times and absolutely love it.

Comment

What did you think of the Unforgivable Blackness documentary?

Comment

Originally posted by Hagler★ View Post

Angelo Dundee My View From The Corner
                    Just finished this, goes through the stages of his career from Willie Pastrano, to Ali, to Leonard (Yet more evidence this guy was a weasel) and ends with Foreman.
                    Well narrated nothing really new but a nice easy read
                    i read a book by dundee in 1990 or so and he went into more detail about the fighters he trained in the sixties. i also read the same one you did.

Comment

Originally posted by Infern0 View Post
                      has anyone read Holyfields auto?
                      yes it was good.

Comment

Working...
                      X