No announcement yet.

advice for sore knuckles

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• advice for sore knuckles

I just started boxing about 2 months now. my index and middle knuckle are sore.

is this something common for new boxers? i gave it about 1 week of rest. but it came back when i boxed, but didn't hurt as much before.

now im resting from boxing again. im just curious if any other boxers had sore knuckles when starting boxing, and when it heals will it toughen up?

thanks in advance guys

It's common.

Just ice them after training. It's all you can really do.

Then I would suggest more padding over your knuckles. Cutting a sponge, sticking it in the wraps is the cheapest and most common way. Some use a piece of rubber too.

Comment

Couple things.

Yes it's normal...

Look into non heavy bag activitys for now to stay in shape but still throw... double end bag, speed bag, shadow bowing, even mitts shouldn't hurt...

Look into GEL heavy bag gloves.

I used to have knuckle problems until I found these...

http://store.titleboxing.com/title-g...ag-gloves.html

Yes they're a bit pricey.. but I never had knuckle problems.... ever.. again.

And healing time of course... but stay off the heavy bag for now.... if you get those gloves you can hit the bag, but do it lightly... lay off the power for awhile.

Also extra padding over the wraps is good... but remember this IMPORTANT PART... too much padding will work against you... if you use too much padding... it will compress inside the glove to the point where the compressed padding is actually hard and it will lessen the cushion instead of adding it.

They also make gel wraps fyi..

http://store.titleboxing.com/title-g...ist-wraps.html
      Last edited by THE REED; 09-08-2011, 09:27 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by F l i c k e r View Post
        It's common.

Just ice them after training. It's all you can really do.

Then I would suggest more padding over your knuckles. Cutting a sponge, sticking it in the wraps is the cheapest and most common way. Some use a piece of rubber too.
        i'll try the sponge. thanks man

do they toughen up in the long run though?

because my trainer really pushes me hard in training.

thanks for the reply

Comment

Originally posted by reedickyaluss View Post
          Couple things.

Yes it's normal...

Look into non heavy bag activitys for now to stay in shape but still throw... double end bag, speed bag, shadow bowing, even mitts shouldn't hurt...

Look into GEL heavy bag gloves.

I used to have knuckle problems until I found these...

http://store.titleboxing.com/title-g...ag-gloves.html

Yes they're a bit pricey.. but I never had knuckle problems.... ever.. again.

And healing time of course... but stay off the heavy bag for now.... if you get those gloves you can hit the bag, but do it lightly... lay off the power for awhile.

Also extra padding over the wraps is good... but remember this IMPORTANT PART... too much padding will work against you... if you use too much padding... it will compress inside the glove to the point where the compressed padding is actually hard and it will lessen the cushion instead of adding it.

hmm thanks man. I think i should rest it again maybe put more padding or put a sponge under the wraps when it heals.

hope it toughens up in the future though.

Comment

Just keep punching till your hands start to tingle, that usually does it for me haha

Comment

assuming ur wrapping ur hands properly n using the right gloves-- all u can really do is take days off the heavy bag n mitts (if that's aggravating them too).

i think eventually ur knuckles get used to it. mine did.

ps

i don't like to get too fancy w/ the special gloves etc etc etc cuz in the end u gotta adapt to it.

Comment

Wrapping is very important. Too tight will cause problems..and so will too loose. If you have an injury it is very important to rehab it properly or it will get worse...and hand injuries are very hard to get rid of. Ice your hand...massage very deep into the pain (yes it will hurt a bit) and take anti-inflammatory meds and wait until you are fully healed before hitting the bag. Make sure your glove are not worn deep. If you get a bad hand injury your hand will always be compromised and boxing won't be your sport.

BTW...doing pushups with you fists clenched strengthen the muscles in you hand.
                Last edited by jaded; 09-09-2011, 12:53 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by mushahadeen View Post
                  assuming ur wrapping ur hands properly n using the right gloves-- all u can really do is take days off the heavy bag n mitts (if that's aggravating them too).

i think eventually ur knuckles get used to it. mine did.

ps

i don't like to get too fancy w/ the special gloves etc etc etc cuz in the end u gotta adapt to it.
                  yeah, but funny thing is doing heavy bag doesnt hurt that much. but when i do mitt training with my trainer it hurts like hell because my trainer really likes to throw his hand into my fist hard when im punching. i guess i have to just take a break from mitts and heavy bag.. thanks,

I think yeah it's just a matter of the knuckles getting used to boxing.

Comment

It's quite common - wrap your hands PROPERLY, make sure you put the wraps between your fingers to stop the wrap sliding, creating friction against your knuckles.

Use bigger gloves 14-16oz on heavybags.

Try not to 'graze/skim' the bag as this can potentially cause you to do real damage to your hand/wrist as well knuckles.

if you do develop cut/sore knuckles then use ice as mentioned then apply vaseline or cocoa butter.

Comment

Working...
                    X