No announcement yet.

Footwork, George Foreman

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Footwork, George Foreman

i read a lot of ppl saying foreman has crappy footwork.. (quick google)
    where does this come from?
    he cut the ring against ken norton, and circled around frazier easily.....
    i fail to see how his footwork is bad lol
    Last edited by nivek535; 11-30-2015, 02:42 PM.

Originally posted by nivek535 View Post
    Muhammad Ali said Foreman cut the ring off better than any fighter he ever fought. That tells you all you need to know about Foreman's footwork.

Comment

Frazier was a head on fighter, one doesn't need good footwork if you don't have to find him...For the most part Foreman bulldozed thru his much weaker opponents chasing them down,Ali was no exception,so he laid on the ropes which really all he could do ...To stuff foreman you need to hit and hurt him or have physical attributes in strength to push him back...that changed with Ron Lyle who matched him punch for punch...and also Young who used brains over brawn. Foreman had decent footwork yes but I think that was because of the limited attack of certain few that had that to offer.

I think the older foreman was more effective overall.
      Last edited by juggernaut666; 11-30-2015, 05:09 PM.

Comment

George Foreman was stopped ONCE in over 80 pro fights. He KO'd 85% of his opponents. He didn't need anything to fancy as to foot work.

....."Ali was no exception,so he laid on the ropes which really all he could do ..."........really!

then Ali KO'd him. The only man to KO Big George was the greatest Ali.

......"that changed with Ron Lyle who matched him punch for punch"....really

is that the fight where Lyle got KO'd in FIVE?

don't listen to this kid he doesn't know anything about boxing.......

Ray

Comment

Originally posted by joseph5620 View Post
          Muhammad Ali said Foreman cut the ring off better than any fighter he ever fought. That tells you all you need to know about Foreman's footwork.
          interesting, ididnt know he said that.

Originally posted by juggernaut666 View Post
          Frazier was a head on fighter, one doesn't need good footwork if you don't have to find him...For the most part Foreman bulldozed thru his much weaker opponents chasing them down,Ali was no exception,so he laid on the ropes which really all he could do ...To stuff foreman you need to hit and hurt him or have physical attributes in strength to push him back...that changed with Ron Lyle who matched him punch for punch...and also Young who used brains over brawn. Foreman had decent footwork yes but I think that was because of the limited attack of certain few that had that to offer.

I think the older foreman was more effective overall.
          just replying to the bolded part alone,
          did u watch the fight?
          did u see how foreman circled away from frazier? he wasnt "finding frazier", he was side stepping and pivoting around frazier lol..
          Originally posted by Ray Corso View Post
          George Foreman was stopped ONCE in over 80 pro fights. He KO'd 85% of his opponents. He didn't need anything to fancy as to foot work.

....."Ali was no exception,so he laid on the ropes which really all he could do ..."........really!

Ray
          so i think its safe to say foreman had great footwork right?

Comment

interesting, ididnt know he said that.

just replying to the bolded part alone,
            did u watch the fight?
            did u see how foreman circled away from frazier? he wasnt "finding frazier", he was side stepping and pivoting around frazier lol..

so i think its safe to say foreman had great footwork right?
            Frazier was not using footwork,neither was ali unless he moved so fast he left the ropes?..Foreman never beat anyone who moved around the ring.Which is why he never fought Holmes...bad match up...

"Actually, the old George Foreman would’ve given Ali a tougher fight. But the young George, with his wild swings, my guy would’ve beaten him all night. George, as an old guy, he was relaxed, steady and he would grind you down – A,Dundee

Great footwork is a bit over doing it.More or less he fought guys who didn't have much. Unless you are a foreman fan you will argue this...or a fool and listed to quack corso,whos rarely right about anything in this forum .
            Last edited by juggernaut666; 11-30-2015, 06:32 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray Corso View Post

Ray

No the Lyle who dropped Foreman where he was plastered when the bell saved him from disaster...that Lyle!

Comment

again...there are wonderful tapes! One can see how Foreman would use his hands as feelers while moving back and fourth in a step movement probably taught by his mentor...none other than Sonny Liston.

This generation is so...lucky. Anybody, a pauper to a prince can go in Utube and witness many George Foreman encounters.

George Foreman, much like Liston did not have fancy footwork but he did cut that ring and use those big hands to guage distance as he closed in on his prey.

Think of it this way: One would he hard pressed to find a clip of any heavyweight with the exeption of Fury, who can step in AS they are punching. Liston routinely did this on his combos. Using the feet with the hands is harder than it looks.

Comment

Originally posted by billeau2 View Post
                  again...there are wonderful tapes! One can see how Foreman would use his hands as feelers while moving back and fourth in a step movement probably taught by his mentor...none other than Sonny Liston.

This generation is so...lucky. Anybody, a pauper to a prince can go in Utube and witness many George Foreman encounters.

George Foreman, much like Liston did not have fancy footwork but he did cut that ring and use those big hands to guage distance as he closed in on his prey.

Think of it this way: One would he hard pressed to find a clip of any heavyweight with the exeption of Fury, who can step in AS they are punching. Liston routinely did this on his combos. Using the feet with the hands is harder than it looks.

Foreman success was more out of fear of his punching,he did not work to hard the above fight is an average Foreman fight wiith his opponent just moves straight back .no real threat of circling or anything else in movement. He had footwork yes...how good ?Well he was one of the better movers but not cause he was graceful, because his opponents were limited to his power.
                  Last edited by juggernaut666; 11-30-2015, 07:04 PM.

Comment

Foreman had footwork that was appropriate to his style. It was basic boxing footwork, but included a learned skill of cutting off the ring. A high percentage of fighters do not know how to do this. When I see some guy chasing his fleet-footed opponent around the ring with no success, I always realize how many basic boxing skills have been lost over time.

Young Ali vs older George is, of course, an absurd scenario. I love George too much to think about how many times he would be hit square in the face before his first relexive reaction. If Alex Stewart can do that to him, it is not polite to think of his face after a few rounds with Ali, whom he would be unable to touch or defend against.
                    Last edited by The Old LefHook; 11-30-2015, 11:23 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X