Collapse
No announcement yet.

Earnie Shavers: You Would Not Have Heard Of The Klits In My Day

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sounds like lil Ernie took too many blows to the head. Either klitschko would smash him to death within four.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Dunn View Post
      Vitali has never beaten anyone as good as shavers so its hard to tell how he'd do. Wlad would be good so long as he fought like he did post steward and not pre steward.
      "anyone as good as shavers"... Shavers was horrible, all he had was power. He was too slow and had to bad defense to beat Vitali. It would have been target practice for Vitali and Wlad. They'd win 9 times out of 10.

Comment

Im not even going to get into what this thread is about but would rather comment on Roy Williams. This is a man Holmes also talked about in his autobiography as being extremely tough and mean. Looking at his record of 30-6 you wouldn't guess this, but this was a guy forced Ali to pay him for a fight that got bumped when Ali didn't want to. Told Ali he would kick his ass and got in the ring and gave as good as he got for two days until Ali relented, paid him and kicked him out of camp. According to Holmes this is a guy that would have been great if not for terrible management.

Comment

Originally posted by Greg House View Post
          "anyone as good as shavers"... Shavers was horrible, all he had was power. He was too slow and had to bad defense to beat Vitali. It would have been target practice for Vitali and Wlad. They'd win 9 times out of 10.
          Shavers was no great, but he wasn't nearly as slow as most of todays fighters.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6oVgH6sIBuc

Comment

I doubt the Klitschkos have even heard of Earnie Shavers. Either way, they both school him and knock him out.

Comment

Originally posted by JAB5239 View Post
              Shavers was no great, but he wasn't nearly as slow as most of todays fighters.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6oVgH6sIBuc
              Yeah, everyone looks awesome on highlights. And most of those clips show him already exchanging and not getting inside. The K.Bros don't usually exchange punches, they just clinch and wait for the referee.

Shavers didn't talk about "most of todays heavyweights" though, he talked about the K.Bros. From the fights i've seen of him i simply can't see this guy being fast enough to get inside and give them trouble. Joe Frazier would had been another story, but this guy can be easily picked apart from the distance by either brother.

Comment

Originally posted by Greg House View Post
                Yeah, everyone looks awesome on highlights. And most of those clips show him already exchanging and not getting inside. The K.Bros don't usually exchange punches, they just clinch and wait for the referee.

Shavers didn't talk about "most of todays heavyweights" though, he talked about the K.Bros. From the fights i've seen of him i simply can't see this guy being fast enough to get inside and give them trouble. Joe Frazier would had been another story, but this guy can be easily picked apart from the distance by either brother.

I wouldn't pick him against either brother and there are others Im sure I wouldn't pick him against as well Greg. Om only stating he wasn't as slow as that poster suggested. Shavers problem was always stamina and chin.

Comment

George and Sonny would embarrass Earnie.

Comment

A one trip poney perhaps....but what a trick and what a poney! I don't know about Vitali but he might well have had success against Wlad. Forget about the corrie sanders fight but when you figure that Sam Peter was able to bang Wlad up....If shavers had landed some Wlad would not have gotten up

Comment

shavers gets beat.

Comment

Working...
                      X