Collapse
No announcement yet.

The most skilled fighters?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Someone has to go old school and mention Robinson, Louis, Pep, and Benny Leonard. Their boxing skill level was off the charts.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott9945 View Post
      Someone has to go old school and mention Robinson, Louis, Pep, and Benny Leonard. Their boxing skill level was off the charts.
      Other than perhaps Louis they all had great reflexes and natural talent though which isn't what the TS is looking for.

Comment

Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post
        Other than perhaps Louis they all had great reflexes and natural talent though which isn't what the TS is looking for.
        Apparently I've misunderstood the topic then.

Comment

Apparently I've misunderstood the topic then.
          It's not entirely clear perhaps the TS can clarify.

My understanding is he's looking for guys who don't really have raw talent I.e elite speed in feet and hands, reflexes Etc but relied mainly on skills.

There's absolutely no doubt that the likes of Robinson, Pep, Leonard and co are incredibly skilled fighters but they are all extremely gifted athletes along with that.

Comment

Yes, they were all superbly skilled, but they all had more physical gifts than I was looking for.

Louis had great power and his handspeed was world class, so he’s also out.

It's not entirely clear perhaps the TS can clarify.
            I know that the criterion I set could be hard to follow, and some fighters might be a little too strong in one or more department, but I’m looking for fighters that only had one world class trait/physical gift at most (see OP).

My understanding is he's looking for guys who don't really have raw talent I.e elite speed in feet and hands, reflexes Etc but relied mainly on skills.
            Exactly!

There's absolutely no doubt that the likes of Robinson, Pep, Leonard and co are incredibly skilled fighters but they are all extremely gifted athletes along with that.
            100% agree.

/greeh
            Last edited by greeh; 10-28-2013, 12:30 AM.

Comment

Bernard Hopkins then, since he has achieved a lot by working hard rather than from raw, natural, athletic talent?

Comment

<-Behemoth in the corner of the room

Unlike many of you, I'm unable to tell if a fighter's skill is natural or learned. I can only tell that he has/had it. There's this fighter - whose name has yet to be mentioned - who had more defensive skills than given credit for. This fighter had the uncanny ability to slip and block punches while delivering his own.

Hmm. Who might that be?

Comment

Originally posted by Panamaniac View Post
                  Unlike many of you, I'm unable to tell if a fighter's skill is natural or learned. I can only tell that he has/had it. There's this fighter - whose name has yet to be mentioned - who had more defensive skills than given credit for. This fighter had the uncanny ability to slip and block punches while delivering his own.

Hmm. Who might that be?
                  James toney or chavez sr???????????

maybe arguello or benitez???????

Duran from the 70s

Comment

Unlike many of you, I'm unable to tell if a fighter's skill is natural or learned.
                    What I am looking for is fighters without any notable physical gifts, ideally they would at most only have one world class trait/physical gift, but because of their technical acumen and ring-smarts, they overcame their physical limitations.

I don’t exactly understand what you are unable to see or tell. Technical skills are technical skills.
                    There's this fighter - whose name has yet to be mentioned - who had more defensive skills than given credit for. This fighter had the uncanny ability to slip and block punches while delivering his own.
                    I'm pretty sure he is mentioned, but who else than Ayub Kalule could it be?

Seriously though, I presume that you mean Roberto Duran (Jung-Koo Chang was also very good at this). For the criterion I set, he simply had too many world class traits. A rock solid chin and great power to give you two examples.

/greeh

Comment

Originally posted by greeh View Post
                      Yes, they were all superbly skilled, but they all had more physical gifts than I was looking for.

Louis had great power and his handspeed was world class, so he’s also out.

I know that the criterion I set could be hard to follow, and some fighters might be a little too strong in one or more department, but I’m looking for fighters that only had one world class trait/physical gift at most (see OP).

Exactly!

100% agree.

/greeh
                      Oh that's what we're naming? God damn it! i do this everytime!

Comment

Working...
                      X