Collapse
No announcement yet.

michael jordan of boxing

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Culturally, it's obviously Ali. In the 1910s/20s Dempsey was as much of a juggernaut as Babe Ruth, but that's been largely forgotten. Most people in the US, much less the rest of the world, have never even heard his name. Think to yourself how many people have even heard of SRR.

Comment

Originally posted by glidesmack View Post
      there's only one, and it's 1919 jack dempsey. He was the michael jordan of boxing and everyone who saw him never forgot it. louis had nothing on him, neither did ray. When the writers who saw him died, so did his legend. The video survives but it can't surpass modern bias and ignorance.
      Well i disagree with ur opinion but i believe it to be Henry Armstrong but since no one remembers him like that im goin with the all time facebook of boxing an thats mohamed Ali hes the real michael jordan of the sport!!!!

Comment

tengoshi, god damn that is one mother****ing badass mother****ing picture.
        As far as culturally goes...I repeat. Dempsey drew million dollar gates in the 20s. Ali set records for smallest attendance at a heavyweight title fight. The fact that dempsey has been forgotten is irrelevant - jordan may very well be forgotten in 90 years. In fact, he probably will be.

Comment

there's only one, and it's 1919 jack dempsey. He was the michael jordan of boxing and everyone who saw him never forgot it. louis had nothing on him, neither did ray. When the writers who saw him died, so did his legend. The video survives but it can't surpass modern bias and ignorance.
          Dempsey was hugely popular in the United States, followed closely by Joe Louis. Ali was worldwide. No athlete let alone fighter can rival him in this department. Its not even close.

Comment

I repeat, Dempsey drew million dollar gates in the 20s. Ali set records for smallest attendances. If mass media had been the same in the 20's, dempsey's worldwide appeal would have vastly exceeded ali's.

Comment

i could probably count on the fingers of one hand the names that are known worldwide as much as ali

Comment

Ali most definitely. I would probably say Tyson was the closest in that regard to Ali.

Comment

Why the hell are you so obessed with Dempsey? All you do on here is rave on about him and call him the greatest. And say everyone's else's era was a weak one compared to Demspey.

Which is just bogus, as Demspey was invovled in one of the weaker era's. And I don't need to explain this to you again, as I have already aswell as other posters.

Comment

I repeat, Dempsey drew million dollar gates in the 20s. Ali set records for smallest attendances. If mass media had been the same in the 20's, dempsey's worldwide appeal would have vastly exceeded ali's.
                    You have a good point here that is falling on deaf ears because you come at an extreme tangent. Dempsey was huge in his time and for the training methods and technical abilities in the ring at the time, he was a great athlete and boxer. People have to realise if he had the same training as they had in the 70's way back in the 20's, you can speculate that Dempsey would have been even better. I don't agree with you that he is as good as Ali, but yes he was a huge draw at the time. But Ali made sportsmen (not just boxers) into multi millionaires and superstars. He is the reason why there is big money in sports today. footballers were heroes even when they woprked in coal mines, but they were paid £25 a week! Ali made sports big in a way so he created the media uproar you talk off surrounding everyone from big and hard Steven Gerrard getting down for assault on Merseyside to Oj Simpson kidnapping people over there

Comment

Originally posted by JAB5239 View Post
                      Dempsey was hugely popular in the United States, followed closely by Joe Louis. Ali was worldwide. No athlete let alone fighter can rival him in this department. Its not even close.
                      You can go to a village in Asia or Africa where there is no television. They might know Michael Jordan. They won't know Jack Dempsey or Babe Ruth. They will know Muhammad Ali and Michael Jackson.

Comment

Working...
                      X