No announcement yet.

michael jordan of boxing

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• michael jordan of boxing

there's only one, and it's 1919 jack dempsey. He was the michael jordan of boxing and everyone who saw him never forgot it. louis had nothing on him, neither did ray. When the writers who saw him died, so did his legend. The video survives but it can't surpass modern bias and ignorance.

edit - to be fair, if you factor in CAREER and not just how they were as a fighter at their best, I'd have to say it's joe louis.
    Last edited by glidesmack; 05-25-2009, 12:00 AM.

That would be Ali since he is the only Boxer who is one the greatest athletes of all time, just like Jordan is the only basketball player.

Comment

Originally posted by glidesmack View Post
      there's only one, and it's 1919 jack dempsey. He was the michael jordan of boxing and everyone who saw him never forgot it. louis had nothing on him, neither did ray. When the writers who saw him died, so did his legend. The video survives but it can't surpass modern bias and ignorance.
      Writer's like Nat Fleischer who rated him behind Jack Johnson, Jim Jeffries, and Bob Fitzsimmons? Since modern bias and ignorance could not apply to him, then what was it?

Comment

As much as I like ring magazine, nat fleischer might be an idiot.

Comment

Ali was bigger than MJ.

If anything, Jordan is the Ali of basketball, not vice versa

Comment

The only thing you can disrespect mike for is playing basketball instead of boxing. Ali may have been bigger, but he wasn't better.

Comment

Originally posted by K-Nan View Post
              Ali was bigger than MJ.

If anything, Jordan is the Ali of basketball, not vice versa
              I agree. Ali is the most popular athlete off all time worldwide. Pele and Jordan come the closest

Comment

More importantly, dempsey was bigger than ali. I'll repeat that in case it didn't register. Dempsey was bigger than ali. He drew million dollar gates in the 20's. Do you have any idea what that means? More evidence that dempsey = jordan of boxing. One of ali's fights against sonny liston set a record for smallest attendance at a heavyweight title fight in history.

Comment

Originally posted by glidesmack View Post
                  As much as I like ring magazine, nat fleischer might be an idiot.

Comment

It should have been Ali...

Comment

Working...
                    X