• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Underrated: Toney vs. Nunn

Comment

Little Red Lopez/ Mike Ayala.

Comment

Originally posted by BennyST View Post
        What does he get a pass for? I'm pretty sure that everyone remembers he lost the fight and that Hagler won it, by KO, in three rounds. Clearly establishing his dominance. What else do you need? An annual Hearns humiliation day?
        I was responding to the post making the excuse of that's why Hearns lost, and Hagler wasn't that good..

Comment

Originally posted by Sugar Adam Ali View Post
          Why does hearns get a pass, because he broke his right hand??

He broke his hand by dropping bombs on hagler, but instead of laying a guy out like he did duran, hagler just walked thru it... Does hagler not get credit for being a tough SOB that walked thru fire and brimstone to get to tommy
          Not from Sonny, he doesn't. Not one iota.

Comment

Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post
            And many more.

Fight of the year was more so most anticipated event of the year back then.
            This. And it's not necessarily a bad way to gauge it. It's not called Most Valuable Fight of the Year or Most evenly Matched Fight of the Year, etc. It's the fight that was perhaps either almost or the most significant, almost or most exciting, aom anticipated (see: post by IronDanHamza) the fight between the two biggest names, I would imagine that all of these factors are thrown into a pot, probably with a few that I didn't mention, and the people who decide on FOTY use some sort of point system, where the winner may not be #1 in some categories but is #1 in more categories than any other nominated fight...

Or maybe it's done in some completely different way, I don't know. I just wanted to throw in my 2¢ because there is always a fight more exciting than the FOTY..and I used to wonder why it wasn't the most back and forth fight that won every year..because Those are my favorite fights to watch..Even if it's between two prospects or contenders..but FOTY is almost always (or perhaps it's just always) a world championship fight..wasn't Hagler Leonard FOTY in 1987..? There are plenty of fights that have won FOTY that are less deserving than Tyson Holyfield 1..I mean it was after all pretty MayPac-esque in it's anticipation, and did have some good back and forth action, along with one of the biggest upsets in recent history, even with Evan Fields anabolically enhanced body.However I do agree that it wasn't the BEST fight of 1996...
            Last edited by Kid dynamite86; 01-13-2018, 11:35 PM. Reason: Spell check + add stuff

Comment

Underrated

Ruben Olivares vs. Kanazawa II
              Marvin Hagler vs. Roberto Duran
              Eder Jofre vs. Joe Medel I
              Wilfredo Gomez vs. Lupe Pintor

Overrated

De La Hoya-Quartey
              Gatti-Ward III (foty over Toney-Jirov? GTFOH)
              Leonard-Hagler

Comment

Underrated:

Toney vs. Barkley

Duran vs. Barkley

Merqui Sosa vs. Charles Williams

Morales vs. McCullough

Ibeabuchi vs. Tua

Overrated:

Hagler vs. Leonard

Comment

Originally posted by Anthony342 View Post
                  Nobody denies Hearns broke his right hand. It just didn't cost him the fight. Employing the wrong strategy by trying to go toe to toe with Hagler did.

credit to hagler's chin. he went toe to toe with one of the best punchers i have ever seen.

Comment

Originally posted by GhostofDempsey View Post
                    Underrated:

Toney vs. Barkley

Duran vs. Barkley

Merqui Sosa vs. Charles Williams

Morales vs. McCullough

Ibeabuchi vs. Tua

Overrated:

Hagler vs. Leonard

Ibeabuchi vs. Tua was an incredible fight. Doesn't it hold the record for most punches ever thrown in a HW fight?

And almost every one was a bomb!

Comment

Originally posted by kafkod View Post
                      Ibeabuchi vs. Tua was an incredible fight. Doesn't it hold the record for most punches ever thrown in a HW fight?

And almost every one was a bomb!
                      It just doesn't get talked about enough. It gets over-shadowed by Ali vs. whoever, Tyson vs. Holyfield, Foreman vs. Lyle, etc.

Comment

Working...
                      X