Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it worthwhile to watch the second Ali-Frazier fight?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it worthwhile to watch the second Ali-Frazier fight?

I've watched the Fight of the Century and the Thrilla in Manila loads of times, but I haven't watch Ali-Frazier II yet. People say Ali held his way to victory, clinching Frazier so many times yet the ref did nothing.

People say this is how Ali won, which sucks TBH lol. Should I watch the fight though?

Originally posted by KO'er View Post
    I've watched the Fight of the Century and the Thrilla in Manila loads of times, but I haven't watch Ali-Frazier II yet. People say Ali held his way to victory, clinching Frazier so many times yet the ref did nothing.

People say this is how Ali won, which sucks TBH lol. Should I watch the fight though?
    The last time I watched it, it was a little better than I remembered. But it still is a distant third in their trilogy. Not as bad as the third Leonard-Duran fight, but lots of heading grabbing by Ali and an atrocious job of refereeing by the incompetent Tony Perez.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott9945 View Post
      The last time I watched it, it was a little better than I remembered. But it still is a distant third in their trilogy. Not as bad as the third Leonard-Duran fight, but lots of heading grabbing by Ali and an atrocious job of refereeing by the incompetent Tony Perez.
      He was awful. The last time I watched him was when he worked the Mercer-Morrsion fight. He allowed Morrison to take clean head shots while out of it and trapped on the ropes.

The second Ali-Frazier fight is a decent fight to watch but compared to the other two it's a bit boring with a lack of drama.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott9945 View Post
        thanks for reminding me there was a third leonard-duran fight.......

dickface

Comment

Originally posted by KO'er View Post

Watch it, if only to see Ali do what all champions have to at some stage, win ugly. Frazier was sluggish though, slower than I think I've ever seen him. Ali wasn't exactly in superb shape either but he was smarter in the ring.

The second fight is a nice cushion between the explosive greatness of both men in the FOTC and the brutal beating Ali lay on Frazier in the end.

Comment

Originally posted by soul_survivor View Post
            Watch it, if only to see Ali do what all champions have to at some stage, win ugly. Frazier was sluggish though, slower than I think I've ever seen him. Ali wasn't exactly in superb shape either but he was smarter in the ring.

The second fight is a nice cushion between the explosive greatness of both men in the FOTC and the brutal beating Ali lay on Frazier in the end.
            That's somewhat of an overstatement i'd say.

Comment

Worthwhile? Sure. It's arguably the greatest rivalry in boxing.

I rewatched it a while ago. It was in conjunction with Daggum's legendary compu-clinch thread in NSB. I recalled, like most, that the fight was a clinchfest.

Even though the fight had an awful lot of clinches, I still found it to be a very good fight. What is so appealing is how great Frazier and Ali stood to each other. And I was re-awed of the gutsiness of Ali.

I think it's impossible to vision a boring fight between them even if the refereeing was appauling.

Comment

Originally posted by LacedUp View Post
                That's somewhat of an overstatement i'd say.
                He didn't lay a brutal beating on Frazier? To the extent that Frazier was almost blind? There's a reason the fight was stopped with just 3 minutes left, that 3 minutes could have led to something more serious.

I'm guessing you're a Frazier fan, so am I, but let's not get silly.

Comment

While a lot of focus is is on the clinching I'll add that Ali hurt Frazier late in the second round with a right hand. He had Frazier backed into a corner when Tony Perez stopped the round early because he "thought he heard the bell."

Good highlights here:

Last edited by joseph5620; 09-02-2015, 12:16 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by soul_survivor View Post
                    He didn't lay a brutal beating on Frazier? To the extent that Frazier was almost blind? There's a reason the fight was stopped with just 3 minutes left, that 3 minutes could have led to something more serious.

I'm guessing you're a Frazier fan, so am I, but let's not get silly.
                    The truth is that both fighters took a bad beating in that match.

Comment

Working...
                    X