No announcement yet.

Only idiots think fighters 60 years on back would be competitive today

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Medved View Post
    The level of competition was way lower back then, most guys who were fighting were fighting for booze money and had a real time job. Very few made it a career. The reason the best fought alot is because they didnt get hurt and were way better than their competition because they dedicated their time to boxing instead of working full time. Drop Tyson/Wlad/Lewis against C level working guys like those on Prizefighter and they can fight two fights a week. But put them into a match where they get hurt and beat up their body needs weeks to heal to get back to 100%.

The reason they fought so much was for the cash
    it doesn't matter if they fight a lot of bums.

who do you think modern fighters are fighting for the 1st 20-25 fights of their career?

when you're fighting you're learning something every single time.

that's why these prospects are brought up on 15-20 bums at the start for the most part.

a young fighter can learn a lot just from fighting no matter the competition.

Comment

Originally posted by .-|Akrobatic|-. View Post
      there's the arguement, jorge castro has 140 odd fights doesn't he?
      has'nt done much for him, all he has going for him is his incredible durability, like most of the old timers
      jorge castro at fight 60 is a lot better than jorge castro at fight 20 , i tell you that.

Comment

Originally posted by Left Hook Tua View Post
        the thing is though basketball players , swimmers , etc. compete almost the same way as before.

about the same amount of games/matches/competitions.

not so for boxing.

fighters from before would fight 200-300 times. today's fighters fight 50 times or so.

so the old fighters have tons more experience plus it helps compensate for the more archaic training when they're fighting all the time even if they're training is not as modern.

one could argue a guy that is always in shape because he fights twice a month is not that handicapped against a guy who only fights 2-3 times a year and not in training all the time even with all his trainers and modern training.
        Look at sports Evolution or buy a book about the subject. All Sports Evolve by taking the good and making it better and getting rid of the bad. Before in Swimming and Running the diffirence would be seconds, now its judged in miliseconds.

ALL sports evolve, look at boxing 70 years ago and look at it now. The Training is better, the technology is better, the technique is scientificly calculated. You have dieting experts who tell the fighters when to eat and when to stop so they come in Prime and full strenght. You have training camps that are calculated to the minute so the fighter gets maximum output.

The rules are better, there is less corruption and cheating. More testing for illegal substances.

80 Years ago someone couldve been high on coke while pumping his body full of Testostarone or some other drugs.

Its a night and day diffirence.

I hate when people say oh if SRR or Marciano were here they would clean the place up thats just not true. They were ATG of their era and thats what made them good. Its like the K2 Brothers being the dominant of their era. In 30 Years there will be even better fighters than todays because they will take the current technology and technique and make it better.

Comment

so if you took those boxers from the past and allowed them to reap the benefits of modern advancements you dont think they could compete?

i think they would be just as good

reverse that and throw someone like Paul Williams back to the past...withOUT today's advancements and make him fight 100 times...you guys think he'd be able to hang?

Comment

Originally posted by -pound4pound- View Post
            so if you took those boxers from the past and allowed them to reap the benefits of modern advancements you dont think they could compete?

reverse that and throw someone like Paul Williams back to the past...withOUT today's advancements and make him fight 100 times...you guys think he'd be able to hang?
            i think basketball players now aren't as skilled as basketball players before.

look at lebron. he's a superstar and doesn't even know how to dribble.

Comment

Originally posted by Hous View Post
              given their condition. Our fighters today are bigger, stronger and faster then they ever were. Why? Because they aren't goinghave into it alone now, now they have researchers (nutritionist, fitness experts) who conduct research to find the most positive results. This allows them to find the maximum balance of muscle to body frame / weight for strength and speed. They now have tapes to study and research other fighters methods in detail. Fighters back then didn't have this luxery. Science makes the difference.

Humans make fables about the past neglecting logic, its natural.
              I agree to a point buddy,one thing i can give the old timers that the new generations do not have is toughness ,a lot of your top contenders in the 50s and 60s would fight 15 rds against top competition every month sometimes more.But i do agree that fighters these days have a lot more knowledge of training nutrition etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Left Hook Tua View Post
                i think basketball players now aren't as skilled as basketball players before.

look at lebron. he's a superstar and doesn't even know how to dribble.

put Lebron in Kobe's body and he'd be CJ Watson

Comment

Originally posted by -pound4pound- View Post

No people on here are saying that if you take fighter like SRR or another old great that they would whoop todays opposition. No training just taking in a time machine. Its silly that people say this. Nobody knows what would happen if they train in todays style, they could be ATG or maybe the couldnt nobody knows. But some people are so stuck on the old that they think in their current form they would be ATG when they fail to see all the diffirence that happened in boxing.

Comment

There's nothing more annoying than old-timers in the gym talking about how Joe Louis would KO all the bums out there these days.

That said, I also don't think you can say that athletes back then couldn't compete today. Really? You don't think an average 40's heavyweight could probably KO most of the top ten heavyweights right now? Hell, a 40's light heavyweight could probably move up and clean out most of the division with the exception of the Klitschko's.

People back then were athletic too. It's not like we've undergone a whole new stage of human evolution.

Comment

Originally posted by ИATAS206 View Post
                      So you're saying Sugar Ray Robinson wouldn't be competitive today? give me a break, he would dominate the WW division.

Listen, there was more talent back then there was today. That means in order to be a great back then, you had to fight tougher opposition. In today's world you can fight bums 20-30 times, fight a couple champs and your a top dog. Back then nearly every one was a tough fight.

Think about it - NY had over 50 boxing gyms over 50 years ago. Now there are about 3. The pool of good fighters back then was insanely deep compared to today.

Your point would make sense for heavyweights only, especially the old timers that weighed like 185 pounds and ****, they would be just too small.
                      Hardly. Most of the old time greats have a ridiculous amount of padding on their records too. Alot of guys with negative records etc.

Comment

Working...
                      X