No announcement yet.

So a White belt submitted a Black belt?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Anthony342 View Post
    True, but fighters often earn belts when they submit opponents during MMA fights. I mean, how many times do you hear this guy or that guy earned his black belt after this certain submission win? So maybe after the Machida fight, he became a blue or purple belt.
    once again, it has nothing to do with it being an mma fight.

had Jones straightup subbed Machida while grappling with him and not after rocking him with a punch, then it would be a legit submission regardless of it being an mma match. But the fact is that he caught Machida in that guillotine when Machida didn't have all his senses about him.

So if Jones got a higher belt after that fight that's fine but that doesn't mean that Jones is even close to Machida's skill level in bjj.

Comment

almost did something similar in Judo though not in competition. i almost choked out my instructor with his gi.

Comment

Originally posted by -Swizzy- View Post
        once again, it has nothing to do with it being an mma fight.

had Jones straightup subbed Machida while grappling with him and not after rocking him with a punch, then it would be a legit submission regardless of it being an mma match. But the fact is that he caught Machida in that guillotine when Machida didn't have all his senses about him.

So if Jones got a higher belt after that fight that's fine but that doesn't mean that Jones is even close to Machida's skill level in bjj.
        this is correct as i know it. you still have to earn your belts, you just cannot be instructed by a guy you've beaten, regardless of what colour belt he is.

Comment

BJJ isn't the only art that teaches submissions.

I could be wrong but I don't recall hearing of Sakuraba or Josh Barnett getting black belts in BJJ. Possibly the same is true of Fedor. But they'd have the skills to submit the vast majority of BJJ black belts in an MMA fight because they're so experienced is other disciplines that teach a lot of similar moves.

Jones would've been training submissions for years before the Machida fight.

Comment

Originally posted by Clegg View Post
            BJJ isn't the only art that teaches submissions.

I could be wrong but I don't recall hearing of Sakuraba or Josh Barnett getting black belts in BJJ. Possibly the same is true of Fedor. But they'd have the skills to submit the vast majority of BJJ black belts in an MMA fight because they're so experienced is other disciplines that teach a lot of similar moves.

Jones would've been training submissions for years before the Machida fight.
            Fedor has never even come close to subbing a bjj black belt in an mma match.

Comment

I wrestled in middle school/high school and kickboxed into my mid-twenties and I'll roll with anyone (not that I'll win against blackbelts or anything). Never had any formal BJJ training outside of tips from friends when sparring but just being a decent fighter seems to be enough to compensate somewhat.
              Last edited by DeadLikeMe; 03-07-2013, 03:19 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by -Swizzy- View Post
                Fedor has never even come close to subbing a bjj black belt in an mma match.
                True, but he has reached the grand master level in Sambo and earned a black belt in judo.

Comment

Working...
                X