No announcement yet.

Cotto vs Canelo -- My Thoughts

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by North Star View Post
    I also thought Cotto did enough to win. He boxed really well and out landed Canelo in a majority of the rounds. It wasn't a surprise that Canelo got the judges decision though. I mean come on, this was in Vegas and Canelo has had the benefit of more than a few fights go his way when they shouldn't have. He is the cash cow and pretty much everyone involved outside of Cotto's team, ensured Canelo would win. Even the bull**** WBC act all but painted Cotto in a bad light. And did people really think Canelo would fight Golovkin? Seems like this was all for naught and Golovkin is still waiting.

If a rematch happens, I hope Cotto can do some more body work and hopefully break Canelo down. Who knows, maybe Canelo-weight will finally catch up to him and will bite him in the ass.
    You have a point, there. Cotto could hang with Alvarez, even in brawl-mode. The commentators said he wouldn't be able to, but he did. Freddie also seems to have thought so; he kept asking Cotto to push Canelo back. He saw the opening. I think Cotto had difficulty finding the range, since Alvarez has a long reach, and that's why Cotto chose to mostly out-box him instead. He'd need to practice that aspect, and then see how he can work in-out footwork to deliver his left-hook and avoid return fire. It could definitely turn the tide indisputably in his favor.

Another aspect he could work on is in varying his attack. He did a little bit of it later on, but I feel that could've been more effective. There were several times where you could see Alvarez just standing still waiting to be hit. It's like he almost assumed Cotto wouldn't hit him. Cotto, on the other hand, was expecting a more aggressive fight, so he waited to counter in many of those instances. This could also be a game-changer, if he chooses to press the attack in the rematch.

There's not much we can do about Canelo looking bigger or the sounds he makes when he throws, but Cotto can set the pace enough to make it clear Canelo isn't in control. This could help to negate the size differential in people's minds. Plus, who knows, one of those liver shots could definitely put Alvarez down. I don't care if he's 200 pounds; he eats enough of those, and he's done.
    Last edited by SunSpace; 05-03-2016, 07:52 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by gmc_rfc_06 View Post
      It wasn't a very close fight.

Miguel moved a lot, threw pitty-pat punches and landed very little in the way of meaningful punches.

Canelo, on the other hand, landed the meaningful punches, his defensive work and counters were excellent, he completely controlled the tempo and style of the fight...

Out of Lara, Trout and Cotto, the Cotto fight was clearly the easiest of the 3. It was no closer than 116-112.
      I don't see how they're that meaningful, if nothing at all happens to Cotto in the majority of exchanges. Meanwhile, Cotto's out-boxing the heck out of him. Sure, Cotto wasn't moving him much, either, but those weren't pitty-pats. I think that's just how it looked because Alvarez was so huge; he basically turned himself into a heavy bag.

Comment

Well thats your opinion , but 90% of people think that Canelo won. So therr is nothing to do about it

Comment

Originally posted by SugarKaineHook View Post
          Alvarez has got some badass defense in this bout. It's one of his best performances against an elite. Close fight, but Alvarez won.
          We all certainly have to give Alvarez credit with regard to his defense; it was a lot better than I expected. I feel that his physical reach played a factor in its effectiveness, though. Cotto and Roach will definitely work toward negating it for the rematch.

Comment

I remember making a troll post years ago about how Zab Judah beat Floyd Mayweather because they didn't count the knockdown that Zab scored on Mayweather in those early rounds he won. Lol

Comment

I have watched the fight a lot of times and its always very close to me.

Comment

Originally posted by xhiddenx87 View Post
                Well thats your opinion , but 90% of people think that Canelo won. So therr is nothing to do about it
                I wouldn't say 90%. Mexico's media saw this fight the other way around. Heck, even Mexican legends like Marquez, Chavez, and Nacho did. It was controversial in Puerto Rico, as well. In fact, it's only the American, HBO audience (that I know of) which seems to have sided with Canelo. Considering that this was a Puerto Rico versus Mexico event, the fact that both saw Cotto winning is significant.

Comment

Originally posted by bojangles1987 View Post
                  Sorry, but no. I thought it was closer than the judges said and closer than Alvarez should have let it be, but he clearly won and was obviously the better man.
                  i think you mean the bigger man

p4p cotto kicks his arse

Comment

Originally posted by sunny31 View Post
                    I have watched the fight a lot of times and its always very close to me.
                    That is a lot fairer than the scorecards given by the judges that night. It's fine if people score boxing on varied criteria, but I just cannot understand how they acted like the match wasn't even competitive. No way.

Comment

Originally posted by NEETzsche View Post
                      i think you mean the bigger man

p4p cotto kicks his arse
                      keep dreaming ... 8-4

Comment

Working...
                      X