• Show
Clear All

Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post
    I'm not entirely sure but I don't think Jay-Z is worth billions

Is he even worth Half a billion?
    He has a wife named Beyonce..so yea they are worth over a billion together

Comment

Originally posted by Monaco View Post
      How could they have made him a PPV draw when he got battered for 12 rounds against Maidana? He would get beat up by Thurman, Pacquiao, Brook, Khan and almost everyone else in the division. He almost lost to a washed up Paulie Malignaggi because he's so unbelievably flat footed and stationary.

This would have been a catastrophic failure. He could have fought Both Pac and Mayweather and not made roc nation anywhere near 40 million in profits.

It's all about marketing, which is there specialty. Even before Broner ever had a seriously difficult fight, his brand was pretty big on HBO. If he got his life in order, with the right match making it's conceivable that would be a big enough personality to make it to ppv.

Back to 50cent. Do you remember how 50 cent launched his promotional outfit? It was embarrassingly horrible. First he announces that it'll be him and Floyd and that they were getting rid of Al Haymon. Then he signs Billy Dib, Andre Dirrell (had Dirrell get his release from Haymon), and picks up Gamboa (I think he bought out his contract from TR). 50cent never developed any kind of infrastructure to his promotional outfit. Never hired any matchmaker, public relations, nothing... He depended on other promotional outfits to put on shows for his fighters.

So when 50 cent says RN is going to get eaten alive, he's like a worst case scenario. RN started building an infrastructure before they got any fighters, and are continuing to build one after they absorbed GSP. They're promoting their own shows, have tv deals in place with Fox and by acquiring Ward, they now have a defacto tv deal with HBO.

Comment

Rocnation is coming in strong with deep pockets. Stop hating. I'm sure they invest to get their $ back and hopefully give us some quality matchups instead of Haymon garbage. I'm ready for new players in the boxing game

Comment

Originally posted by Eastcoast View Post
          It's all about marketing, which is there specialty. Even before Broner ever had a seriously difficult fight, his brand was pretty big on HBO. If he got his life in order, with the right match making it's conceivable that would be a big enough personality to make it to ppv.

Back to 50cent. Do you remember how 50 cent launched his promotional outfit? It was embarrassingly horrible. First he announces that it'll be him and Floyd and that they were getting rid of Al Haymon. Then he signs Billy Dib, Andre Dirrell (had Dirrell get his release from Haymon), and picks up Gamboa (I think he bought out his contract from TR). 50cent never developed any kind of infrastructure to his promotional outfit. Never hired any matchmaker, public relations, nothing... He depended on other promotional outfits to put on shows for his fighters.

So when 50 cent says RN is going to get eaten alive, he's like a worst case scenario. RN started building an infrastructure before they got any fighters, and are continuing to build one after they absorbed GSP. They're promoting their own shows, have tv deals in place with Fox and by acquiring Ward, they now have a defacto tv deal with HBO.
          Like I said earlier. Rome wasn't built in a day, and they've already proven that they have no idea how much a boxer is actually worth. 50 Cent was spot on when he compared Boxing to the furr coat business. They're going to over pay all of these guys and wonder why they're not making any profits, and to make things worse, they're locking them up to 5 year deals which guarantees the bankruptcy of the promotion. You can't make a loss for 1 year never mind 5 years.

Comment

Originally posted by Deeznuts View Post
            Rocnation is coming in strong with deep pockets. Stop hating. I'm sure they invest to get their $ back and hopefully give us some quality matchups instead of Haymon garbage. I'm ready for new players in the boxing game
            I'm not hating and i'm actually going to watch their shows, I'm simply pointing out that its not a sustainable long term business plan. If this kind of thing worked then it would have been done already, you don't think GBP and top rank are constantly fighting for boxers by offering them the biggest contract? There is only so much you can offer them before you take a loss.

Comment

Like I said earlier. Rome wasn't built in a day, and they've already proven that they have no idea how much a boxer is actually worth. 50 Cent was spot on when he compared Boxing to the furr coat business. They're going to over pay all of these guys and wonder why they're not making any profits, and to make things worse, they're locking them up to 5 year deals which guarantees the bankruptcy of the promotion. You can't make a loss for 1 year never mind 5 years.
              We don't know the structure of the contracts, performance quota's and what not. RN manages athletes in NBA, NFL, MLB, I'm sure they're familiar with such nuances. So long as HBO/Showtime exist, the market value of professional boxers will always be a cloudy issue, as a fighter's tv ratings doesn't directly translate to their earnings.

A non-sustainable plan is what Haymon is doing with Showtime. He has his fighters making a set amount of money without any accountability. Showtime goes along with due to the Haymon/Mayweather relationship. Showtime desires the Mayweather brand over ratings for the regular boxing shows.

50 cent is someone who made a very poor attempt at being a boxing promoter and is likely to be a little bitter/jealous of Jay Z being successful.
              Last edited by Eastcoast; 01-09-2015, 10:52 PM.

Comment

Imagine offering a guy like Broner $40 million for 5 years when he just got destroyed by Maidana, killing all interest in him.

Now just imagine what they must have paid Andre Ward. I bet they paid him twice that, and he's not even capable of selling out an Oakland bingo hall.

This reminds me of the MMA promotion "infliction" It was a promotion made by an ugly low class american t-shirt company and they paid journeymen who have never made over $100,000 in a fight, $700,000 each and $1.4 million to a washed up UFC fighter who never even made a quarter of that before. Needless to say they did 2 events and went bankrupt the week before their 3rd event.

This is what will happen, mark my words.

Possible but affliction went straight to PPv, with no domestic TV distirbution.. Jayz and crew at least have TV distirbution to build upon

Comment

Originally posted by Sugar Adam Ali View Post
                  Possible but affliction went straight to PPv, with no domestic TV distirbution.. Jayz and crew at least have TV distirbution to build upon
                  PPV only works with major super stars like Floyd, Manny and Froch in England. In order to make money from PPV you must hit a certain amount of buys before it becomes profitable because the PPV provider takes 50% of the profits and the fighters get a large slice of the pie as well. Its literally impossible for Roc to make anywhere near 40 million in profits from Adrien Broner in 5 years, let alone net profits. Adrien Broner will never ever become that level of a star, people know he's just a Floyd rip off, a cheap imitation that was exposed.

Comment

i wouldnt count them out that fast its obvious they are willing to lose money to make money i think it will work honestly

Comment

guys any promotional company really looking to make it in boxing has to be willing to throw money down the drain before it starts becoming profitable its quiet obvious roc nation knows this im not big on the music in the middle of fights but honestly i think its gonna work i think roc nation is going no where and i think with them and now haymon coming about top rank and gbp even more so are in major trouble at least as far as the control they had before these 2 came about. im sure everyone wants roc nation and haymon boxing to fail but am i the only one who has gotten tired of how boxing has been under gbp and top ranks control?

Comment

Working...
                      X