• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just How Great Was Bob Foster?

?
    ?
    ?
    ?

Pretty great fighter. Certainly an ATG Light Heavyweight.

Stunning power. A greater fighter in terms of H2H match-ups than he is in resume. I would pick him to beat most LHW's.

I consider him a Top 10 LHW. Won the Lineage off Dick Tiger in incredible fashion and pretty much ending his career in brutal fashion. Although Tiger was past his prime he was still very good and sitting at the top of the LHW Division.

During his lengthy reign of his Lineage he beat alot of solid, top ranked opposition. Lack of name quality but a solid and good reign none the less

Comment

Ring Magazine ranked Foster above the likes of Thomas Hearns, Jose Napoles, Carlos Ortiz, Jimmy McLarnin, & Billy Conn. But ranked him below Felix Trinidad, Miguel Canto, Aryron Pryor, Carmen Basilio, & Khaosai Galaxy.

Comment

Originally posted by Perfect Plex View Post
        Ring Magazine ranked Foster above the likes of Thomas Hearns, Jose Napoles, Carlos Ortiz, Jimmy McLarnin, & Billy Conn. But ranked him below Felix Trinidad, Miguel Canto, Aryron Pryor, Carmen Basilio, & Khaosai Galaxy.
        Because The Ring Magazine are idiots.

They clearly have no respect for logic with those rankings.

Comment

He was great for sure and he knew when to retire. I just wish he had known he wasn't cut to be a hw in time.

Comment

Honestly, I find him too be over rated.

He was an extremely talented boxer and he'd be even with any LHW greats but I find his resume somewhat lacking any significant names, if I were to make a list I'd probably have him in the latter half of the top 10 or just outside it

Ezzard Charles
            Archie Moore
            Harry Greb
            Sam Langford
            Maxie Rosenbloom
            Michael Spinks
            Billy Conn
            Gene Tunney
            Tommy Loughran

All could rate above him imo.

Although, maybe I don't know enough about his career ?, Tiger (Biggest height disparity for a title fight until Haye - Valuev, bit of trivia), Rondon and Finnegan are all good wins but imo the others have better, can't see him in the top 5 as I see so many people that do rate him there. Depends on your criteria I guess.
            Last edited by NChristo; 10-05-2011, 04:04 PM.

Comment

I have a top 5 LHW. near impossible to beat at his prime.

In terms of getting leverage on punches, Foster makes Hearns look feather fisted.

Comment

Originally posted by Pastrano View Post
                He was great for sure and he knew when to retire. I just wish he had known he wasn't cut to be a hw in time.
                I dont blame him for giving it a go at heavy. The greats usually want to test themselves when they're so dominant on there own division. I dont think his losses there hurt his legacy at all.

Comment

Bob Foster was the best lightheavy I ever saw. Of course I didn't see many of the great lightheavies who preceded him. But having seen Foster fight on TV many times I can assure you he was an outstanding boxer, had one punch KO power (especially the left hook), and a tremendous killer instinct. He'd have a big chance against any 175 lb fighter ever.

Comment

IMO a top 3 LHW, it would take a LHW great having a great night to beat him in his prime

Comment

Working...
                    X