Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who Should Be Remebered As The Greater Fighter, Roy Jones Jr Or Sam Langford?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who Should Be Remebered As The Greater Fighter, Roy Jones Jr Or Sam Langford?

Roy Jones Jr
    36.67%
    Sam Langford
    63.33%
    Last edited by Southpaw Great; 07-19-2010, 02:03 PM. Reason: Mistake

In terms of resume, Langford. In terms of prime ability, Roy Jones Jr. The thing is that fighters from before 1910 like Langford (and some time after that) genuinely possessed less boxing ability because the sport had yet to fully develop then. But that is no reason to discount the greatness of a fighter from that era, it just makes it harder to quantify.

Comment

Originally posted by GameGod View Post
      In terms of resume, Langford. In terms of prime ability, Roy Jones Jr. The thing is that fighters from before 1910 like Langford (and some time after that) genuinely possessed less boxing ability because the sport had yet to fully develop then. But that is no reason to discount the greatness of a fighter from that era, it just makes it harder to quantify.

Langford had huge disadvantages in the ring while Jones almost always had the advantage, I believe that has to be considered when making a comparison.

As far as skills go.....Langford competed against fighters who would compare with any modern fighter. Gans, Blackburn, Walcott, Johnson, Ketchel, Jeanette, McVea, O'Brien and Wills most notably.

Comment

Don't have to think twice, Langford by a country mile.

Comment

langford was definitely greater by accomplishment but he wouldnt stand a chance against roy

Comment

Holy ****. WTF is this nonsense?

Comment

Langford. When Jones starts KOing Heavyweights while weighing in a Middleweight I'll give him some consideration.

Poet

Comment

Originally posted by r.burgundy View Post
                langford was definitely greater by accomplishment but he wouldnt stand a chance against roy
                Nah, I'm sure Sam would be all over him and I think he hit a lot heavier, anyway Sam had 3 times as many fights, 20 rounders too. Those guys were phenomenal and the eras are soooooooooooooo different, I wish I could go back and see those much tougher fellas.

Comment

Langford.

Definitely Langford.

Comment

Surprised the poll is so close.

Comment

Working...
                    X