Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pac Man makes a bunch of mistakes here, 8 time world champ?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pac Man makes a bunch of mistakes here, 8 time world champ?

I personally like this session but I post it as perspective.

In the beginning of the video Pac is "shadowboxing" and throwing punches really fast with no defense or technique what so ever. My question is, Why would he do that if he does not do it in the fight? Also how did he become an 8 time world champion training like that?

Additionally he makes numerous mistakes with his feet and with his hands specifically "dropping his lead hand" with his chin up. How did he become an 8 time world champion with this poor technique?

He shadow boxes to warm up; how complete that video is I have no clue, but it seems pretty representative to what I have seen him do.
    He makes a ton of mistakes.It has always been my theory that southpaws get away with a ton because people aren't used to fighting them.

Comment

I don't think it's just that he drops his lead hand. A lot of fighters fight with their lead hand down and rarely get touched. It's the combination of dropping your lead hand AND the way he jumps in. If you look at that knockout, he jumped in and shot a jab from a low position that missed. His back hand was also low, ready to fire that straight left. All those things combined with his momentum going forward left him defenseless against a well timed right hand. It takes perfect timing and the awareness to set that up to pull that off. But that's nothing new. Pac's been getting timed by crafty counter punchers like Morales and JMM for years. But Pac has tremendous heart, a great chin and a crazy work rate. Counter punchers land on him, but he'll turn around and get them back 2x. The difference with this fight, was the power in the shot. Period.

Comment

He became an 8 time world champion because he is a brutal puncher with ruthless agression. Hes a fighter first and foremost, with technical boxing skills at second. This showed up in the fourth marquez fight. He was technically doing well the first few rounds against marquez, had his defense up when he was coming in, alot of head movement, etc. But he got into fight mode, he just wanted to exchange and fight. He got careless, started coming in with his hands around his waist, and got caught by another great fighter.

Comment

Originally posted by akScoundrel View Post
          He became an 8 time world champion because he is a brutal puncher with ruthless agression. Hes a fighter first and foremost, with technical boxing skills at second. This showed up in the fourth marquez fight. He was technically doing well the first few rounds against marquez, had his defense up when he was coming in, alot of head movement, etc. But he got into fight mode, he just wanted to exchange and fight. He got careless, started coming in with his hands around his waist, and got caught by another great fighter.
          Good breakdown. I think a lot of people forget how far Manny got as a 1 handed fighter.

Comment

Boxing isn't about how many mistakes you make. It's about who's smart enough to make you pay for them. Pacquiao is a great fighter, though.

Comment

Originally posted by BarryRobinson View Post
              I personally like this session but I post it as perspective.

In the beginning of the video Pac is "shadowboxing" and throwing punches really fast with no defense or technique what so ever. My question is, Why would he do that if he does not do it in the fight? Also how did he become an 8 time world champion training like that?

Additionally he makes numerous mistakes with his feet and with his hands specifically "dropping his lead hand" with his chin up. How did he become an 8 time world champion with this poor technique?
              hes good at certain things but I often wondered myself why he doesn't clean up his boxing. He could have been even better with the physical attributes he was born with.

Comment

He out worked all his opponents. He uses volumn of punches instead of technique! He comes in with the will to win and out FIGHTS his opponents. No one has given Manny credit for his boxing skills (although he has them) he's a swarmer and gets his opponents to move their feet that doesn't give them very good balance to throw punches.
                Juan is considered an excellant counter puncher but it took him 42 rounds to land maybe 12 meaningfull shots with the last one some what LUCKY!
                I say lucky only because he was so late throwing it, I believe he was shocked it landed. Manny feinted then stepped in (like a double feint)and thats a big no no in boxing. He got so deep that his right shoulder was practically touching Juans right shoulder. When that happens 99 out of 100 times both fighter just move off!
                Back to Manny, his style is pressure pressure and more of it. When you take on this method you usually bypass some techniques that can be positive.
                It amazes me how everyone jumps on the "Manny ain't that good wagon" off a defeat to a highly qualified boxing champion. Its getting insulting to Juan!!

Barry I watched your youngster shadow out in his video the other day and he had both feet off the ground at once many times!! You know thats not a good habit to have especially as you get close!! (nice kid)

These seasoned pros are NOT going to change much, methods can change but techniques are difficult because once they're under fire your natural or techniques learned when your young are going to take over thats the term "can't teach an old dog new tricks" its true 100% of the time.

Personally I would have loved to train or work with Manny, he's a man who makes no excusses and has reached incredible heights in the sport!! Ray.

I probably incorperated more mitt work in the 60s 70, then most trainers did but they were instructional, and believe me you had to finish!!!! I see ALL these guys today flashing then just standing there!!!

Comment

Roy jones jr. made a bunch of mistakes too and look what he accomplished in his career. Pac's will to win, work ethic, toughness and physical attributes made him a great fighter.

Comment

that video doesn't really show sht tho does it? it's about ten seconds long.
                    anyway shadowboxing is excellent to loosen up and work on co-ordination, you dont have to box like you would all the time

and pacquiao clearly loves to work on his footwork, thus the constant combo's with perfect technique(legs into it)
                    that is how he gets his "quick" power(his ability to hit you hard while dancing around you)

roy jones at lightheavy didn't throw many combo's but when shadowboxing he would let his hands fly with 6 punch combos
                    even mayweather on occassion wil throw these big combos at full speed and power to get his fleet feet, why do this when they didn't fight like this?

anyway, there are other shadowboxing videos of pacquiao where he shadowboxing more fundamentally sound, hands up all times, plenty of head movement
                    Last edited by SplitSecond; 12-20-2012, 10:13 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X