Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

anyone old enough to have watched tyson vs mcneeley? do you remember this?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by fate91185 View Post
    Damn, i dont remember mcnel going that hard at tyson, i was just a kid when i watched and guess i knew nothing about the craft at that point of time, what a spirited effort regardless of the outcome which was inevitable to begin with, that was the only fight plan he could have came with to give himself a microscopic chance of a W. Make it a street fight, hope to catch Tyson early/cold, and his corner jumped the gun, which is hard for me to say because the man's health was at risk, but whose isn't againt Tyson, and anybody for that matter. Boxing is a dangerous sport, and those who participate know the dangers before hand and agree to them. Great blast from the past, good thread lol brings back memories of my fathers drunk ass friends screaming at the TV and then going to play dominoes afterwards.
    Same here, I vaugely remember seeing him get dropped, the old timers talking about how bad it was, and the pizza commercial later. The guy took a real shot at it as far as I can see. Maybe his corner told him they'd jump in to save him beforehand. It was a spirited effort nonetheless.

Comment

Originally posted by willybullet View Post
      Same here, I vaugely remember seeing him get dropped, the old timers talking about how bad it was, and the pizza commercial later. The guy took a real shot at it as far as I can see. Maybe his corner told him they'd jump in to save him beforehand. It was a spirited effort nonetheless.
      I agree 110%, his effort regardless of lack of talent and the fact he probably didn't deserve to be in a fight of that magnitude against tyson put a smile on my face he definitely did better against a more prime Tyson then Clifford Etienne did against a tattooed faced right before the fight, way past prime one.

Comment

''I'm gonna wrap Tyson in a Cocoon of horror''

**** yeah I remember Tyson- McNeeley, probably the best build up too a fight I've ever laid my eyes on.

Comment

Peter was full of energy after the fight in the interview.

Team Mcnelly robbed us of a brutal KO but we got that when Mcneely met Akinwande many years later. Felt sorry for Pete in that one.

He shoulnt have been built up pre Tyson but the promoters knew what they were doing and lined him. It was set up nicley as the sacraficial lamb but I think going into that fight his team knew they were going to rob the paying public. It wasnt a spontaneous decision jumping into the ring. They were gonna go for broke then rescue their man at the 1st chance.

Comment

Originally posted by J Dubb II 330 View Post
            Bruce Seldon fought Joe Hipp on the under card, one of the worse beatings I've ever aeen
            yes sir...joee hipp took a beating. i was the only one in a bar that bet on tyson winning in the 1st round. i won like $200. i was a bartender at the time...

Comment

Originally posted by PD21 View Post
              Peter was full of energy after the fight in the interview.

Team Mcnelly robbed us of a brutal KO but we got that when Mcneely met Akinwande many years later. Felt sorry for Pete in that one.

He shoulnt have been built up pre Tyson but the promoters knew what they were doing and lined him. It was set up nicley as the sacraficial lamb but I think going into that fight his team knew they were going to rob the paying public. It wasnt a spontaneous decision jumping into the ring. They were gonna go for broke then rescue their man at the 1st chance.
              it was a complete mismatch right from the start. i got that akinwande fight too. pretty brutal ko.

Comment

Originally posted by EdMon917 View Post
                What's crazy is he got stopped by Louis Monaco the next year who was 3-3-2 going into the fight. LOL
                luis monaco also rocked buster douglas. he was DQ'd since he dropped him after the bell...lol!

Comment

I remember his infamous comment ''I'm going to wrap Mike Tyson up in a cocoon of horror!''
                  Still cracks me up to this day.

You could tell the guy was a little bit special the way he stood there grinning at Tyson. Fair play he wasn't intimidated & flew at Mike, not many guys would be stupid enough to.

Comment

I remember it all too well. My last name is actually pronounced Tyson (certainly not spelled the same way though), I don't think I need to explain what my first name is..........hence my attraction to boxing. I have had to do a lot of explaining over the years and I do remember that blowout.....I mean fight.

Comment

Originally posted by EdMon917 View Post
                      Inspirational Peter McNeeley Interview Before Tyson Fight

LOL @ that Pizza Hut Commercial. No dignity at all.
                      That's like some **** out the WWE, cringing hell.

Comment

Working...
                      X