No announcement yet.

Miguel Cotto-Manny Pacquiao: 24/7 Part 2 Reviewed

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Miguel Cotto-Manny Pacquiao: 24/7 Part 2 Reviewed

By Cliff Rold - Last week on 24/7, there were pool parties, tattoos, and camp squabbles all made to look trite next to the very real tragedy of typhoon victims in the Philippines. With both fighters settling at U.S. camps, can week two match the viewing experience of the first? [details]

Quoted for emphasis:

Final Thoughts:

Last week, in the final thoughts, the following was offered: If this show failed, and it has three episodes to correct it, it was in the lack of perspective given to Pacquiao’s career. It was a similar problem in the 24/7’s for his bouts with Oscar De La Hoya and Hatton. The full scope of what Pacquiao has done, and is attempting to do, is not being fully conveyed. Pacquiao’s status as a ‘pound for pound’ leader was mentioned. Not once in the show was it noted that Pacquiao is challenging Cotto for a title in a seventh weight class, a feat never seen even in this watered down era of ‘belts for all.’

The same problem was on hand this week. Okay, fine, this is about getting into the fighters lives before they get in the ring. However, the stakes in the ring are actually interesting. This is a show about boxers training for a fight…might it not interest at least some potential viewers to know the historical ramifications of the fight? Of what Pacquiao has done over the last ten plus years?

HBO used to kill when it came to that stuff. It would do a segment back in the day on Mike Tyson’s personal life AND a comparison to something like Joe Louis’s reign of terror in the 30s. Where is the context here? A former Flyweight champion is challenging for a piece of the Welterweight title…against a really good Welterweight (at a catch weight but still)…and is favored to win.

Koncz-Ariza is more interesting than that? Really? It’s like the NFL pumping up a Green Bay-Minnesota game but forgetting to talk about Brett Favre’s years in Green Bay.

Comment

Cliff gave it a B minus. I gave it a C.

Last week was a C+.

Comment

that was better than the whole PBF series................hatton and Oscar were clearly the more interesting characters...................floyd was riding their popularity

Comment

This 24/7 doesn't feel as unrealistic as the recent one so I enjoyed it, as the article says though HBO should convey how important this fight is.

Comment

I'm watching part of episode 2 right now, seems like hbo likes to make drama with these 24/7 and only show when pacquiao is getting hit in sparring. It just a hype up to the fight. I doubt porter had his way with pacquiao. They only show a few snippets.

Comment

Originally posted by Freddy Krueger View Post
              I'm watching part of episode 2 right now, seems like hbo likes to make drama with these 24/7 and only show when pacquiao is getting hit in sparring. It just a hype up to the fight. I doubt porter had his way with pacquiao. They only show a few snippets.
              Have u ever seen porter box ?
              He's 154+ & has a very good boxing background.
              If u don't think he can get the best of a light weight, than ur an idiot, & the beating cotto is gonna put on PAC will probly come as a shock 2 u than.

Comment

Originally posted by Samadafish View Post
                Have u ever seen porter box ?
                He's 154+ & has a very good boxing background.
                If u don't think he can get the best of a light weight, than ur an idiot, & the beating cotto is gonna put on PAC will probly come as a shock 2 u than.
                You're going to be shocked when Manny wins almost every single round against Cotto.

I like Cotto and Pacquiao, but Cotto is way over his head with this fight. This is no Zab Judah, this is a fighter who would KO Zab Judah quicker then Kostya did. Thats how good Manny Pacquiao has become over the years.

Comment

Originally posted by Freddy Krueger View Post
                  You're going to be shocked when Manny wins almost every single round against Cotto.

I like Cotto and Pacquiao, but Cotto is way over his head with this fight. This is no Zab Judah, this is a fighter who would KO Zab Judah quicker then Kostya did. Thats how good Manny Pacquiao has become over the years.
                  I'll go 5K with u that cotto wins. Wanna go ?

Comment

Originally posted by Samadafish View Post
                    I'll go 5K with u that cotto wins. Wanna go ?
                    Nope, its a close match up and I do like the two fighters. I just feel Manny is too much for Cotto. The winner of this fight isn't going to hurt me, cuz I like both guys. I already have a bet on it anyways.

Comment

Working...
                    X