No announcement yet.

The Top 25 Lightweights of All-Time – 11 to 25

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Top 25 Lightweights of All-Time – 11 to 25

By Cliff Rold - For any new boxing fan, the time is not long before a fellow fan points out a magic number which grows more mythologized with time: eight. As in boxing’s original eight weight classes. The number represents in the mind of many a time when the sport was compressed into fields which couldn’t help but be talented, couldn’t help but draw crowds, because there were so few places on the scale to go. They were divisions marked by single champions ever challenged by a depth of contenders today’s seventeen weight classes rarely know. [details]

Atleast JLC is ranked better then SSM and rightfully so. Shane ain't do **** at 135.

Comment

Duran should be no1.

Comment

Originally posted by Wrighty View Post
        Duran should be no1.
        Yeah but the list is to be continued. We all know Duran and Whitaker will be down there somewhere.

Comment

It would be good if Cliff could present the quantitative data as well as the qualitative to give the exact reasoning of the respective rankings of the fighters. The article gives none such info so the exact 'sceince' to warrant the rankings are not clear.

Instead we are just presented with some descriptive facts to present the fighters. That's also interesting, but since we know that some work has been done to compile the list in regards to mathematics and gauging of eras it's somewhat dissapointing that those facts remain in the dark.

Comment

Originally posted by BattlingNelson View Post
            It would be good if Cliff could present the quantitative data as well as the qualitative to give the exact reasoning of the respective rankings of the fighters. The article gives none such info so the exact 'sceince' to warrant the rankings are not clear.

Instead we are just presented with some descriptive facts to present the fighters. That's also interesting, but since we know that some work has been done to compile the list in regards to mathematics and gauging of eras it's somewhat dissapointing that those facts remain in the dark.
            I see your point...but that's discussed somewhat at the bottom. If you want a methodology white paper I can gin it up but I don't think anyone else would read it.

Here's an example of stratification: Jimmy Carter scores extremely high at Lightweight and easily makes it into the first cut of 50. BUT no one can be sure how many of his fights were on the up and up...so he gets cut. This is essentially the same thing as the Jr. classes, and mostly follows scoring results.
            Last edited by crold1; 10-10-2009, 01:38 PM.

Comment

You know I love you Cliff, but there is no rational for rating JLC higher than Mosley at 135.

Comment

Originally posted by crold1 View Post
                I see your point...but that's discussed somewhat at the bottom. If you want a methodology white paper I can gin it up but I don't think anyone else would read it.

Here's an example of stratification: Jimmy Carter scores extremely high at Lightweight and easily makes it into the first cut of 50. BUT no one can be sure how many of his fights were on the up and up...so he gets cut. This is essentially the same thing as the Jr. classes, and mostly follows scoring results.
                Most of his fights were actually filmed although they are fairly rare. I'd say the fights he won were all legit.

Great fighter in my opinion.

Pleasantly surprised to see Willie Ritchie get a spot in the top 25. Not a boxer who gets mentioned too often.

Comment

Originally posted by !! Shawn View Post
                  You know I love you Cliff, but there is no rational for rating JLC higher than Mosley at 135.
                  I think based on each man's best wins, and what should have been a win over Mayweather for Castillo IMO, Mosley doesn't sniff Castillo at Lightweight. I prefer, while respecting both, body of work over percieved talent advantage and on those terms, it would be irrational to have Mosley over Castillo. The only way to get there is giving Mosley credit for achievement in other classes. Mosley still made the cut because he did look THAT good against occasionally above average opp.

Comment

Originally posted by TheGreatA View Post
                    Most of his fights were actually filmed although they are fairly rare. I'd say the fights he won were all legit.

Great fighter in my opinion.

Pleasantly surprised to see Willie Ritchie get a spot in the top 25. Not a fighter who is mentioned too often.
                    Yeah, but some of those losses are a pox and call everything into question. Hey, it was mob time...whatcha gonna do?

Comment

Working...
                    X