By Mesuli Zifo
AS previously reported on BoxingScene.com, Zolani Tete's mandatory WBO world bantamweight title defence has been rescheduled for April 21 in Belfast, Northern Ireland.
Tete (26-3, 21 Kos) will defend against Argentinean veteran Omar Narvaez in a rescheduled bout after their first date, planned for last Saturday, fell through when Tete suffered a calf muscle injury in training.
While Tete recovered, Narvaez (44-2-2, 25KOs)- a two time division champion- took a stay busy fight beating Jesus Vargas a fortnight ago.
Now that the 29-year-old left hander has recovered a member of Queensberry Promotion, which promote Tete, flew to South Africa to meet him and his management to hash out a new deal.
The member, George Warren, who is son to Frank Warren, the owner of Queensberry Promotions, confirmed that he and Tete had a fruitful meeting which covered a lot of areas.
“I actually came to South African for vacation and business and I was glad I could find time to meet Zolani and his manager Mla (Tengimfene),” he said.
“We engaged in highly successful discussions including rescheduling the fight for April 21.”
The April 21 date is already tied down as the return of Carl Frampton who will take Filipino Nonito Donaire in a high stakes clash at SSE Arena, in Belfast - the venue of Frampton and Tete's last bouts in November last year.
This when the “Jackal” saw off the stiff challenge of Mexican Horacio Garcia in his debut under Queensberry while Tete set a new world record for the fastest world championship when he knocked out compatriot Siboniso Gonya in 11 seconds for the maiden defence of his crown.
While the two parties remained tight lipped about the financial terms of the deal, Tete is understood to have negotiated improved purses for his future fight starting with Narvaez.
“We are happy with what we agreed on,” said Tengimfene.
“We can now start with our preparations for Narvaez confident that the business side of the deal has been settled.”
Warren admitted that part of the reason to bring Tete back to Belfast was to lure WBA champion Ryan Burnett into a unification fight which up to now he has not shown interest in.
“Perhaps when Zolani keeps dominating headlines in Burnett's areas that will convince him to finally come on board,” he said.
If Burnett continues to run for dear life, Tete is looking at other mega bouts such as the unification against WBC champion Luis Nery if he comes through the ordered rematch against Shinsuke Yamanaka.
There is also the possibility of facing Japanese monster Naoya Inoue who has already indicated that he would move up a division.
Warren also congratulated Tete for winning the SA Boxer of the Year award early this month.