Promoter Eddie Hearn is doing his best to secure the biggest opponent possible for top heavyweight contender Dillian Whyte.
A lucrative offer has been presented to former unified world champion Andy Ruiz, who last month was unseated when Anthony Joshua outboxed him over twelve rounds for a unanimous decision in Saudi Arabia.
But the fight with Ruiz is not likely to become the next assignment for Whyte - especially since Ruiz has not been in the gym and just parted ways with head trainer Manuel Robles on Wednesday.
"We're still in negotiations with Andy Ruiz," Hearn told Sky Sports. "That fight has more chance of happening in America. That could be the second fight of the year for Dillian Whyte, or the first one."
At the moment, former world champion Alexander Povetkin, who also fought on the Saudi card and went to a draw with hot contender Michael Hunter, is the main target.
"Right now, Povetkin is the frontrunner. We're looking at the end of April, or early May for the return of Dillian Whyte," Hearn said.
Whyte, who holds the WBC's interim title, has already agreed that he's fully on board to face either Povetkin or Ruiz.
He challenged Povetkin back in 2018, but the Russian boxer went forward with a mandatory fight against Anthony Joshua, who won that bout by knockout in seven.
If the contest goes forward in the coming months, Whyte expects a war with Povetkin.
"If he wants it, he can get it," Whyte told Sky Sports. "It's going to be a tear-up, because he is not really a mover and I'm not really a mover, so he's a come forward fighter and I come forward. We're going to have a scrap. Povetkin comes to fight doesn't he. He doesn't come to mess about. I'm the same, so let's get it."
The winner of next month's rematch, between WBC champion Deontay Wilder and challenger Tyson Fury, has until February 2021 to face Whyte.