Frank Warren, co-promoter for WBC heavyweight champion Tyson Fury, says the superstar boxer will not have an worries of a mandatory defense for at least a year - once the mandatory challenger in established.
The mandatory had been Dillian Whyte, and he was due to receive a title crack by February 2021.
But Whyte's chances of a title fight were dashed away on Saturday night - when he was knocked out cold by Alexander Povetkin in five rounds.
The WBC have made it clear that Povetkin, in beating Whyte, is not necessarily the mandatory challenger.
There is a rematch being planned, between Whyte and Povetkin, for the end of the year.
Regardless of who wins, Warren indicates that Fury will be fully free to face Anthony Joshua or whoever else in 2021.
Before that, Fury will have to face Deontay Wilder in a trilogy fight targeted for December 19.
"I've spoken with the WBC since Saturday and they confirm that even if Dillian beats Povetkin to regain their interim belt the time scale has changed. The thousand days Whyte says he has been waiting for his WBC shot will not count," Warren told Daily Mail.
"If he is reinstated as mandatory challenger, then whoever is their champion will have a year to make the fight."
Warren also believes Whyte, who suffered a very brutal knockout, is being pushed too quickly in the direction of a rematch with Povetkin, who has punching power in both hands.
"'It is also dangerous to be putting Whyte back in the ring after such a brutal knock out. Especially against a big puncher like Povetkin. The rules prevent him training for at least a month after a concussion and usually six weeks after one this devastating 'That should keep him resting until the end of October so how can expect to be ready for Povetkin again in November?," Warren said.