By Elisinio Castillo
Cuban welterweight contender Yordenis Ugas is not planning to back away from his mandatory world title shot at current IBF king Errol Spence (24-0, 21 KOs).
Ugas, ranked in the number two position by the sanctioning body, is next mandatory challenger in the wings.
This past Saturday night in Frisco, Texas - Ugas (22-3, 11 KOs) scored four knockdowns of his amateur rival Jonathan Batista for a dominant stoppage win in the second round. In the main event of the same card, Spence demolished mandatory challenger Carlo Ocampo in the first round.
Because Spence just made a mandatory defense, he will get the opportunity to make one or two optional defenses.
As previously reported on BoxingScene.com, Spence downplayed the challenge of Ugas and said that he would rather fight someone like Jessie Vargas.
But Ugas cautions that Spence will eventually have to face him - or suffer the same consequence as Gennady Golovkin, who was recently stripped of his IBF middleweight title for failing to make a mandatory defense.
"Well, [Spence] has to think hard about what his next step will be, because he already beat a challenger who did not deserve it," Ugas said to George Ebro.
"He talks about taking care of his legacy, but he can not face another lower level opponent. That would not help. Spence has, by law, an optional defense against an opponent of his choice. First, he can not choose a small opponent because of his legacy. Second, at some point he'll have to face me because the rules of the IBF require it. And if not, then it's the same case of Golovkin.
"I respect Vargas a lot, who has been a world champion, but I think that in boxing I'm above him. So I think Spence is wrong when he talks about [how a fight with me would] not helping him build his legacy. No, it's that I think I can stop his legacy. If a fight between Spence and Terence Crawford is negotiated, I would be the first to step aside. They would find me sitting in the front row."