Advertisement
Advertisement
Boxingscene.com

Top Rank: We Reserved Sept. 15 First, Not Golden Boy

By Michael Marley

The stakes are very high for September 15th in Las Vegas. With only two miles of driving distance between them, two high profile pay-per-views will go head to head.

On one end, at the MGM Grand, Saul "Canelo" Alvarez will defend his WBC junior middleweight title against former champion Victor Ortiz, provided he defeats Josesito Lopez this coming Saturday night at Staples Center in Los Angeles. Golden Boy Promotions will stage the event and Showtime pay-per-view will carry it.

On the other end, at the Thomas & Mack Center, Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. will defend his WBC middleweight crown against pound-for-pound challenger Sergio Martinez. Top Rank and Lou DiBella will promote the card and HBO pay-per-view will distribute.

Some fans are outraged over the head to head battle. 

Golden Boy officially announced Canelo-Ortiz on a June 12th conference call, but Canelo's September return was initially revealed during the post-fight press conference to his May 5th victory over Shane Mosley. Top Rank announced Chavez-Martinez during last Saturday's post-fight press conference in El Paso, but the fight had been rumored for months.

According to Top Rank's CEO Bob Arum, his company reserved the date of September 15th with cable television operators back in February.

If Golden Boy and Showtime intend to move forward on the same date, Arum doesn't seem worried. He believes Golden Boy's show will experience attendance issues by running their event at such a close distance.

"Let them do what they want, let them run the same night at the MGM. Their fight is an okay fight but our fight is much, much bigger. They will find that a lot of the MGM's customers are going to want to come to see our fight," Arum said.

Arum revealed that Chavez-Martinez at the arena on the Running Rebels college campus will be chiefly sponsored by casino mogul Steve Wynn.

"And Steve will be getting tickets out to many of the other casinos," Arum said. "A lot of the casinos are pissed off at the MGM Grand because they don't give good fight tickets to them. Steve couldn't get good tickets for the Cotto-Mayweather fight. Neither could Caesars and others so there is a lot of bitterness there."

User Comments and Feedback (Register For Free To Comment) Comment by AndNewChampion on 06-24-2012

Hahahahahahahah

Comment by immortal tech on 06-19-2012

[QUOTE=ShoulderRoll;12260529]As Arum says DiBella never got off his ass and never stopped waiting for HBO to build Sergio up. Being in against Floyd shot Victor Ortiz' recognition factor through the roof. I bet that if you ask the casual fan…

Comment by ShoulderRoll on 06-19-2012

As Arum says DiBella never got off his ass and never stopped waiting for HBO to build Sergio up. Being in against Floyd shot Victor Ortiz' recognition factor through the roof. I bet that if you ask the casual fan…

Comment by Eaner0919 on 06-19-2012

[quote=Big Dunn;12259854]I wasn't saying Ortiz is a big draw,but he seems to be the guy people are coming to see, except of course floyd. Sergio seems to go where the other guy is the draw, NY for Macklin (irish community),…

Comment by brick wall on 06-19-2012

chavez-martinez is definitely more interesting than alvarez-ortiz.

Post a Comment - View More User Comments (71)
Top Headlines Malignaggi: Danny Garcia wins 'close, tricky fight' with Granados Hearn: I Don't Believe We've Yet Seen The Best of Andrade Bob Arum: Al Haymon is Doing a Disservice to His Welterweights Andrade: I'm The Best Talent Out There at 154, 160, Maybe 168 BoxingScene.com's Television Picks of The Week - January 18 UK News: Joyce-Tiffney, Archie Sharp, Danny Dignum, More Why Are So Many Boxing Fans Still Drawn To Adrien Broner? Kovalev Charged With Felony Assault, Allegedly Punched Woman Video: Malignaggi Breaks Down Canelo-Jacobs, Pacquiao-Broner Video: Memo Heredia Talks Pacquiao-Broner, Spence-Garcia Video: Badou Jack Ready For Marcus Browne Clash Video: Broner's Trainer Gives Take on Pacquiao Fight Video: Dillian Whyte Discusses Being a Free Agent, More Maurice Hooker Set For March 9 Defense vs. Mikkel LesPierre De La Hoya: Jacobs Worries Me; 2nd-Best at 160 After Canelo Roach: Pacquiao Hit Me To The Chest - Whole Body Went Numb! WBC: Jack-Browne Winner Will Be Mandatory To Gvozdyk Canelo-Jacobs: Venue TBD, T-Mobile The Current Frontrunner Photos: Warren vs. Oubaali, Ruiz vs. Tepora - Face To Face Photos: Badou Jack, Marcus Browne - Go Face To Face Jacobs Inks New Deal With Hearn, Three Fight Deal With DAZN Photos: Bryant Jennings, Oscar Rivas - Ready For Battle in Verona Photos: Terence Crawford, Amir Khan - Go Face To Face in NYC Ellerbe: Broner Beating Pacquiao is No Upset, This is 50-50 Fight Canelo Alvarez vs. Daniel Jacobs Finalized For May 4 Photos: Serrano vs. Voraberger, Doheny vs. Takahashi - Weigh-In Photos: Jorge Linares, Pable Cesar Cano - Ready For War Photos: Chris Algieri, Danny Gonzalez - On Point To Fight Photos: Demetrius Andrade, Artur Akavov - Ready For Battle Erislandy Lara vs. Brian Castano Tops Showtime Triple, March 2 Ricardo Quiroz To Face Jamaine Ortiz on February 23 Photos: Keith Thurman Putting in Work For Josesito Lopez Weights From New York City: Andrade 159.8, Akavov 160 Hearn Prepared To Win Purse Bid For Wilder-Fury Rematch Broner: Arum Offered Me $2 Million To Fight Pacquiao; F*** Him! Liam Smith vs. Sam Eggington Set Down March 30th Shohjahon Ergashev vs. Mykal Fox on February 15, ShoBox Anthony Yarde vs. Mehdi Amar Set For February 23 Khan: I Think a Brook Fight Is Still There, A Fight I'd Love To Have Malignaggi Feels Garcia is 'Going Too Far' in Facing Spence
Advertisement

Latest Active Forum Threads
Advertisement
Advertisement