By Elliot Foster
Tony Bellew has held meetings with officials regarding a possible switch to MMA.
The former WBC world cruiserweight champion is preparing for his rematch against David Haye next month, exclusively live on Sky Sports Box Office.
Bellew takes on the ex-WBA heavyweight king at the O2 Arena on May 5.
But at a media lunch at Liverpool’s Hilton Hotel in the build-up to his fight with the 38-year-old, ‘Bomber’ was not afraid to admit that discussions were had with top brass about a potential showdown with ex-UFC middleweight champion Michael Bisping.
“IMG I think it was, the guys I met with in Vegas,” he said when speaking to talkSPORT. “At the Conor McGregor vs Floyd Mayweather fight, I had a sit down with a couple of guys.
“They were like ‘are you serious?’ and I said ‘100%’.
“I would love to have a go in a cage. Something about it floats my boat.”
Bellew and Bisping traded verbals late last year regarding a potential clash –– with the MMA star ready to don the 10oz gloves and face Bellew, 35, in the squared circle.
Bisping is thought to be mulling over one final fight before retiring, having lost his previous two fights against Georges St-Pierre, for his middleweight belt, and Kelvin Gastelum just two weeks later.
“Bisping can talk – and you know what, I would love it,” Bellew continued. “But I’ve got all the respect in the world for Bisping, it wouldn’t cross over to be nasty or anything. I’m pretty sure it would just be fun.
“I would turn his lights out, he would go fast asleep. He would just go bo-bozing immediately.
“If I hit someone with four-ounce gloves on, it is naughty.”
Tony Bellew’s rematch against David Haye at the O2 Arena in London on May 5 will be shown on Sky Sports Box Office in the UK. Buy now at http://bit.ly/BuyBellewHaye2.