CLEVELAND – Jake Paul’s hometown fans got an up-close look at a potential opponent with a famous last name Sunday night.

Tommy Fury, Tyson Fury’s younger brother, out-pointed Anthony Taylor in the opener of Showtime Pay-Per-View’s five-fight Paul-Tyron Woodley telecast from Rocket Mortgage FieldHouse. The undefeated Fury beat Taylor, an MMA fighter by trade, by unanimous decision in what was scored a shutout by judges Stacy Blevins (40-36), Dana DePaolo (40-36) and Phil Rogers (40-36).

Taylor talked and talked and talked and talked some more throughout the buildup toward their fight, Fury’s U.S. debut.

Fury’s shorter, lighter opponent had difficulty landing clean punches, though, during what was officially scheduled as a four-round cruiserweight fight, despite that the 5-feet-7 Taylor weighed in Saturday at 175 pounds, the limit for the light heavyweight division. The 6-feet Fury, who came in only four pounds heavier than Taylor at their weigh-in, didn’t dominate his seemingly overmatched opponent.

Fury still improved to 7-0 (4 KOs).

The 32-year-old Taylor, of Alameda, California, fell to 0-2 in professional boxing matches. Before Fury defeated him, the mixed martial artist hadn’t competed in a boxing match since Donte Stubbs beat him by split decision in Taylor’s four-round pro debut in June 2017 at The Hangar in Costa Mesa, California.

Taylor fought at the MMA lightweight limit of 155 pounds in his last combat bout of any kind in January 2020.

Despite his limited experience in boxing, Taylor actually might’ve been a step up in competition for Fury.

The 22-year-old Fury’s first six opponents sported an embarrassing combined record of 14-174-5 before Fury beat them. Only his prior opponent, Jordan Grant (2-1), had a winning record before Fury defeated him on points in their four-rounder June 5 at Telford International Centre in Telford, England.

Despite his unremarkable performance, Fury remains a possible foe for Paul if he defeats Woodley in the main event.

Fury caught Taylor with an overhand right with about a minute to go in the fourth and final round, but Taylor survived until the final bell.

Taylor went down during the third round, but he fell beneath a bottom rope because their left legs got tangled. Fury wasn’t as accurate during that third round as he had been during the first two rounds.

Fury and Taylor each landed right hands in an exchange just after the midway mark of the second round. A right uppercut by Fury backed up Taylor with a minute to go in the second round.

Fury’s right to the side of Taylor’s head buzzed him with just under 30 seconds on the clock in the second round. A left-right combination by Fury wobbled Taylor just before the second round ended.

Taylor partially landed a right about 30 seconds into the fight. Fury followed a jab with a right hand about a minute into the opening round.

Fury missed with a big overhand right with just under 20 seconds to go in the first round.

Keith Idec is a senior writer/columnist for He can be reached on Twitter @Idecboxing.