Junior middleweight contender Tim Tszyu has accused undisputed world champion Jermell Charlo of intentionally delaying their fight while boozing under the bright lights of Las Vegas.
Tszyu, the mandatory challenger under the WBO, was scheduled to face Charlo back in March.
Charlo suffered a hand injury, which postponed their fight. Tszyu would instead face former world champion Tony Harrison and battered him for a stoppage win.
Charlo vs. Tszyu was then targeted for dates in June and July but once again the fight was pushed back, because Charlo required additional time for the hand injury to fully heal.
Tszyu will continue to stay busy, by facing Carlos Ocampo on June 18.
The Australian star explained that he saw video footage of Charlo at last month's lightweight showdown between Ryan Garcia and Gervonta Davis - and he felt the undisputed champ was drunk.
“I was watching the Garcia/Tank fight the other day and the guy was off his head. Drunk. There’s a difference between me and him. You see me, I’m active. I’m staying ready for the next opportunity. And every opportunity I get, I’m going to take it. Him on the other hand, he’s on a honeymoon, off to Las Vegas, getting smashed,” Tszyu said of Charlo to Fox Sports.
“So there’s a difference and when we do meet there’s going to be trouble — not for me but for him."
Australian legend Jeff Fenech believes Tszyu's recent performances have made a big impression on Charlo and his handlers.
“I think he said enough in the Harrison fight. That’s why that (Charlo) fight is taking so long (to be made), I honestly believe that. If Tim had’ve looked half as good as he did against Harrison, they would’ve tried to jump on that as quick as they could," Fenech said.
“But seeing what he did — he destroyed him — and doing it that easy, it’s got to worry them. It’s got to put the fear of God into them guys. They’ve got a lot of work to do.”