Subriel Matias and Batyr Jukembayev are promising a war on May 29, when they collide in a Showtime televised fight from the Dignity Health Sports Park in Carson, California.
The event is headlined by WBC bantamweight world champion Nordine Oubaali defending his title against mandatory challenger Nonito Donaire.
Matias vs. Jukembayev has been sanctioned as an IBF junior welterweight title eliminator.
Fighting out of his native Fajardo, Puerto Rico, Matias (16-1, 16 KOs) most recently scored an impressive stoppage of previously unbeaten Malik Hawkins via a sixth-round TKO in their October 2020 clash on Showtime.
The 29-year-old bounced back from his previous outing, which saw him lose a narrow decision to Petros Ananyan. Prior to his lone loss, Matias stopped his first 15 opponents inside the distance, and has still yet to go to a decision in a victory.
“I’m very happy about this opportunity,” said Matias.
“I appreciate my team for making this fight possible. The best man will win on May 29 and I commend my opponent for stepping up to the challenge. We’re going to deliver a great fight for the fans. I am the pride of Maternillo and this will be a victory for all of them.”
The 30-year-old Jukembayev (18-0, 14 KOs) rose up the rankings with a victory over former world champion Miguel Vazquez in September 2019 and most recently knocked out Ricardo Lara in January 2020. Born in Kazakhstan and having previously fought out of Montreal, Quebec, Canada, Jukembayev turned pro in September 2015 after compiling an impressive amateur record of 203-40. He will make his U.S. debut on May 29 when he faces his toughest test to date in the dangerous Matias.
“I’ve had a full training camp in Los Angeles with Manny Robles and I’m ready to showcase myself on the world stage,” said Jukembayev.
“I’m undefeated and my time is now. I’m facing a strong and experienced opponent, but I believe that I have all of the tools to be victorious on May 29.”