Golden Boy Promotions has secured the rights to one of the most attractive welterweight fights currently in play.
The ordered Eimantas Stanionis-Vergil Ortiz WBA ‘Regular’ welterweight title fight has landed in Golden Boy’s possession after posting $2,300,000 during a purse bid hearing Monday afternoon. The bid outpaced TGB Promotions, who submitted an offer of $2,100,100 as the lone other participant during the session which took place as part of the WBA Centennial Convention at Caribe Royale Resort in Orlando, Florida.
Stanionis is entitled to 75 percent—$1,725,000—of the bid as the defending titleholder. The remaining 25 percent ($575,000) will go to Ortiz as the mandatory challenger.
The fight was ordered Nov. 18 and given a 30-day free negotiations period for a fight that is officially due to take place by January 16, 2023. Stanionis was represented by promoter Richard Schaefer’s Probellum, as well as manager Shelly Finkel and TGB Promotions on behalf of Premier Boxing Champions (PBC). Ortiz fights for Golden Boy Promotions and is managed by Rick Mirigian.
Both sides pushed for the WBA to enforce their specific status, though for separate fights.
As previously reported by BoxingScene.com, Ortiz petitioned the WBA in September to order a fight with Stanionis as the sanctioning body’s mandatory challenger. Meanwhile, Stanionis pushed for a title consolidation clash with WBA ‘Super’ champ Errol Spence Jr. (28-0, 22KOs), the unbeaten Desoto, Texas native who also holds the WBC and IBF titles. Stanionis spoke up on having the fight ordered once plans collapsed for a discussed undisputed championship between Spence and WBO welterweight titleholder Terence Crawford (38-0, 29KOs).
Stanionis was joined by unbeaten welterweight contender Jaron ‘Boots’ Ennis (29-0, 27KOs), who sought to have his IBF mandatory status enforced for a similar fight. Neither were granted that wish, with both entering separate secondary fights.
Despite the sternest efforts of Stanionis, the WBA instead approved a request filed by TGB Promotions’ Tom Brown on behalf of Premier Boxing Champions for Spence to bypass Stanionis in favor of a WBC mandatory title defense versus former unified titlist Keith Thurman. That fight was not yet announced, though is targeted for next February.
Stanionis previously agreed to stand down from his owed shot at the WBA welterweight title to instead allow then-claimant Yordenis Ugas to first fight Spence which took place on April 16 at AT&T Stadium, home to the NFL’s Dallas Cowboys in Arlington, Texas and minutes from Spence’s Desoto hometown. Spence defeated Ugas via tenth-round stoppage to unify the WBA/WBC/IBF titles atop the Showtime PPV event.
Stanionis was granted a slot on the Showtime lead-in card, winning the secondary WBA welterweight title in a twelve-round decision over Radzhab Butaev.
Ortiz (19-0, 19KOs) advanced to the mandatory position for Stanionis’ version of the title following a ninth-round knockout of England’s Michael McKinson.
Their August 13 clash of unbeaten welterweights took place at Dickies Arena in Fort Worth, near Ortiz’s Grand Prairie hometown in the greater Dallas area. Golden Boy and Mirigian successfully lobbied for the fight to be sanctioned as a WBA title eliminator. The request was approved, at the time of the belief that Spence-Crawford would happen and which would leave Stanionis with a mandatory and for the winner to challenge for the undisputed crown.
A timeframe was not revealed for Stanionis-Ortiz, though doubtful that it takes place prior to the previously imposed January 16, 2023 deadline. It is more likely for the fight to land sometime in February on DAZN, with whom Golden Boy has enjoyed separate output deals since the end of 2018.
Jake Donovan is a senior writer for BoxingScene.com. Twitter: @JakeNDaBox
ADD COMMENT VIEW COMMENTS (107)