Gary 'Spike' O’Sullivan (30-4, 21 KOs) is expecting to land a world title eliminator in his next ring outing.
Last month, O'Sullivan was in action in the middleweight division - and was stopped by undefeated former world champion Jaime Munguia, who was making his debut at 160-pounds.
One fight prior to that, the Irish boxer had dropped down to 154-pounds - and now he plans to resume his run in the junior middleweight division.
According to the 35-year-old O'Sullivan, he was advised by his handlers that he would appear in a junior middleweight eliminator on May 2, as part of the undercard to the return of Mexican superstar Saul "Canelo" Alvarez.
O'Sullivan, promoted by Murphys Boxing and Golden Boy Promotions, believes he could be one fight away from a world title fight.
“I hope to fight in May. It will be in Las Vegas, and it will be an eliminator, at light middleweight. That’s what I’ve been told anyway. I’m moving back to light middleweight. I was comfortable at middleweight, but I’d be stronger at light middle,” O’Sullivan told the Cork Echo.
There was some discussion of O'Sullivan facing WBO junior middleweight champion Patrick Teixeira. But, Teixeira has to make a mandatory defense against Brian Castano in April.
“I think that Canelo is going to fight Billy Joe Saunders. I thought I’d get a shot at him (Teixeira), but he has a mandatory defense," O'Sullivan said.
“They’re telling me I’ll get an International title shot at light middle. He’s (Teixeira) is promoted by Golden Boy and I would get to fight him if he comes through the mandatory. I definitely will be fighting on. I’ll probably fight in May and if I come through that fight for a world title in September."