By Steve Kim
In the immediate aftermath of Errol Spence taking care of mandatory challenger Carlos Ocampo in one round this past weekend in Texas, the defending IBF welterweight champion said that his return to the ring may hinge on being able to get the winner of Danny Garcia vs. Shawn Porter, who are scheduled to meet for the vacant WBC 147-pound belt.
Garcia and Porter are scheduled to collide in the coming months, likely August or September.
But returning to the ring before the end of 2018 isn't necessarily predicated on getting the winner of that bout.
Stephen Espinoza, the head of Showtime Sports told BoxingScene.com on Tuesday afternoon - "The reality is (Spence) is a little off calendar in terms of Porter-Garcia, whether that happens in August or September or whenever it is. They're not going to be ready for another fight in December, which is probably when Errol wants to go at the last.
"So I think he'll have to take another opponent and get to that fight early next year."
After fighting just once in 2017, Spence has performed twice this year. Stopping Lamont Peterson in seven rounds on January 20th at the Barclay Center in Brooklyln, New York, in addition to his homecoming fight in Frisco, Texas on Saturday night.
And now the undefeated champion is eager to come back for at least a third fight before the year is out.
"Errol's been very clear, he's been very clear with us at the end of last year - he wants to fight three times this year and I think that's realistic, especially when the middle fight is a first-round KO. So in terms of wear-and-tear on his body, he's good," stated Espinoza.
Who continued by saying, "So I do think we will see him on Showtime before the end of the year."
Steve Kim is the news editor for BoxingScene.com.