By Edward Chaykovsky
According to Lee Selby's manager, Jamie Sanigar, the team behind Carl Frampton want no part of a big domestic showdown between the two boxers.
Selby (24-1, 9 KOs) is very eager to face Frampton (23-1, 14 KOs) - even though the Irish boxers suffered his first career defeat back in January when he lost a close twelve round majority decision, and his WBA title, in the rematch with Leo Santa Cruz in Las Vegas.
Last week, Selby's adviser, Al Haymon, won a purse bid to secure the promotional rights to the boxer's mandatory defense of the IBF featherweight belt - which is going to come against Jonathan Barros of Argentina. Frampton is also advised by Haymon.
Before the purse bid with Barros was scheduled to take place, Sanigar claims that he tried in vain to negotiate a fight with Frampton's team -- promoter Barry McGuigan along with sons Jake and Shane.
"We've made approaches and it's their side that doesn't want it," Sanigar told Nick Parkinson. "They don't fancy Carl Frampton against Lee Selby. Lee Selby is a far superior boxer stylistically to Santa Cruz and he's a nightmare for Carl Frampton -- and they know that.
"There's been no progression. I've spoken to the McGuigans and they don't appear to have any interest in the Lee Selby fight. It's very surprising due to the demand from the British fans and we would be willing to do it in Belfast if it makes financial sense for both the boxers.
"They can't afford for Carl to lose twice and we didn't get to that [discussing the venue] because they are hell bent on getting the third fight with Santa Cruz, but I can't see that getting made next."
Sanigar is still unsure about his boxer facing Barros (41-4-1, 22 KOs) - until there are clear confirmations about the Argentine's health.
Barros was scheduled to face Selby in Las Vegas on January 28. Prior to the official weigh-in, he was pulled from the fight by the Nevada State Athletic Commission. It was revealed that Barros tested positive for hepatitis C. Barros claims that he took additional tests, from credible medical facilities, and passed those tests with flying colors.
But Sanigar wants further testing to confirm Barros' medical status.
"Lee will fight again in June or July definitely, but we're not sure who yet," Sanigar said. "I can't put my boxer into a fight with the risk of getting hepatitis and this is what the lawyers are working on. We're still very unclear of his eligibility to box. In my opinion it hasn't been solved."