Samuel Antwi proved too powerful for Darren Tetley, as he stopped Tetley in the sixth round to claim the vacant English welterweight title of the MTK Global show in Bolton.

Tetley was down in the first round and again in the sixth. He loaded up repeatedly, but it worked as he was able to shrug off Tetley’s work In the knowledge that he could come back with better and he landed a series of brutal body punches.

“He was a game opponent, I knew it was going to be tricky, but we found the shots we were looking for,” Antwi said. “If I kept digging away to the body I knew he would bring the guard down, I saw the head open up and I caught him with a couple of good right hands. 

“The English belt gets me in the top ten (in the UK), I believe I am top two. This is my foot in the door. It is very busy this welterweight scene. I’ve got the ring rust out of the way, I am ready to go now.”

Antwi had a brilliant start, walking through Tetley’s punches to drop him with a body shot. He seemed to have hurt Tetley with a body shot moments earlier and, as Tetley covered up, he left himself open to a left hook downstairs and, while Teley beat the count, he was trying to fight his way off the ropes as the round ended.

The second began better for Tetley, but Antwi was soon on hm again, standing in front of him and winding up shots with both hands.

Tetley battled his way back in, though, keeping busy as Antwi looked for heavy shots. He got through with one heavy right in the fourth and then bullied Tetley in the fifth, as Tetley’s right eye started to swell up.

In the sixth round, Tetley again was doing well, but as Antwi upped the pace, Tetley crumbled. The start of the end came with a brutal right to the body, Tetley smothered the follow-up, but when Antwi found an opening, he winged away with both hands until Telty crumbled to the floor.

He beat the count, but as the ten-second warning sounded, Antwi landed another crushing right, which prompted referee Michael Alexander to stop the fight at 2:57 of the sixth round.

Danny Carr was just a step ahead of Dean Dodge throughout as he retained his Southern Area super-featherweight title with a comprehensive ten-round points win.

Carr built up a big early lead by simply beating Dodge to the punch. Dodge walked after Carr, but he failed to cut down the ring, as Carr picked him off with the jab,

It wasn’t until the fourth round that Dodge landed a right hand of real menace, but Car was light on his feet, stayed out of range and caught Dodge as he came forward.

When Dodge did get close, he was too slow in throwing, allowing Carr to elude him. Carr kept his game plan simple and offered Dodge as small a target as possible.

Dodge started to turn things round in the seventh round, landing a good right early in the round and then lacking two cracking left hooks that made Carr wince.

But that success proved fleeting, as Carr got back on his bike and stayed out of trouble.

Referee Howard Foster was the sole scorer, making it 97-93 to Carr. The fight was also an English title eliminator.

“I knew he’d be a tough boy,” Carr said. “I have a lot of respect for him, I’m sure he will be a champion one day.

“In my pro career, I’ve always got the job done but I’ve never had that momentum where I am fighting and fighting,” Carr said. “I know the English title is tied up, but I’m mandatory now and I will hopefully get that shot. 

“Hopefully, I will carry on fighting regularly now and see where I can go with it.”

Ron Lewis is a senior writer for BoxingScene. He was Boxing Correspondent for The Times, where he worked from 2001-2019 - covering four Olympic Games and numerous world title fights across the globe. He has written about boxing for a wide variety of publications worldwide since the 1980s.