By Jhonny Gonzalez
WBA super bantamweight champion Guillermo Rigondeaux (10-0, 8 KO) is still training for a scheduled fight on September 15 against Roberto Marroquin, taking place on the Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.-Sergio Martinez undercard at the Thomas & Mack Center in Las Vegas.
The Olympic gold medal winner does not seem concerned with a recent Circuit Court hearing that took place a few days ago in Miami, where the court enjoined him from engaging in any bout not approved by his manager, Gary Hyde.
Rigondeaux's attorney has filed an emergency motion to lift the Hyde's injunction in order to allow the Cuban boxer to fight on Chavez-Martinez.
Two separate lawsuits were been filed in connection to the Rigondeaux vs. Marroquin bout. Both cases were filed last week in the Miami-Dade County courthouse in Florida. In relation to Hyde's action, the papers were filed by Miami based attorney William J. Brown. Hyde sought to enforce his managerial contract with Rigondeaux.
Hyde alleges that Rigondeaux refused to communicate on the matter and went around his back to make a deal with Top Rank for the bout with Marroquin. The second lawsuit was filed by Black, Srebnick, Kornspan & Stumpf on behalf of Boris Arencibia, owner of Caribe Promotions, against Rigondeaux and Top Rank.
They sued Rigondeaux for breach of contract, claiming the boxer is still bound to an existing agreement that makes Caribe Promotions the "exclusive worldwide promoter for Rigodeaux's fights," and that Rigondeaux went forward with a planned fight against Marroquin without their involvement. There is a claim of tortious interference against Top Rank because they allegedly signed Rigondeaux-Marroquin without the involvement of Caribe.
Rigondeaux is claiming that his manager, Hyde, is attempting to secure a new promotional deal in order to extend their managerial agreement. Rigondeaux says their two-year contract extension runs out in November of this year, based on a November 2010 WBA-interim title win over Ricardo Cordoba. Hyde is claiming the deal runs until January 2014, claiming the two-year extension began with the WBA title win over Rico Ramos in January of this year.
"Yes, there are strange circumstances, but we have moved on, because we have a clear objective and I'm helped by my trainer Jorge Rubio and my trainer DJ Montanocordoba. When you believe in what you do, nothing and no one can stop it. I do a general preparation and stroke a master plan with my trainer, but when you start the fight that plan is adjusted from round to round on the basis of how the opponent operates with his style. In truth, I not have seen much of Marroquin, one or two pieces of video on the internet," Rigondeaux told George Ebro.
"Those who have problems are Hyde and Caribe, they are responsible for this situation, but thank God everything will be solved. And to the best of what we know...there will be a fight. I'm sure that there will be a fight. I have no doubt. And the title will return with me to Miami. Look, these problems are [because of Caribe], but my lawyers will fix them. I have not come to fight with anyone outside of the ring, but to fight [inside the fight]. The lawyers handle things in court, [I handle things inside] the ropes."
"Nothing and no one, inside and outside of the ring, can derail me from my goal. Make no mistake."
ADD COMMENT VIEW COMMENTS (37)