by Reynaldo 'El Papi Chulo' Sanchez, photos by Jose Ramos Martinez
PONCE, PUERTO RICO - Angel 'Tito' Acosta gave a solid sample of his punching ability when he knocked out Mexico's Luis Armando 'Gallito' Ceja to secure the vacant Latino minimumweight title of the WBO and improved his record to 15-0 with 15 knockouts.
The scheduled 10-round bout was the star attraction of the card presented on Saturday night by Miguel Cotto Promotions, in co-promotion with H2 Entertainment and Roc Nation Sports, at the Puerto Rico Feria Complex in Ponce.
It was part of the successful series of DIRECTV Boxing Nights. The particular importance of victory in such a devastating way was that Tito, from Barrio Obrero, did it against a 26-year-old fighter who had an official record of 27-5-3 with 22 knockouts, who had been measured with top fighters in the past and had not been knocked out.
After the first assault in which Ceja, Acosta came in with the high guard and released his strong combinations on him. The Mexican fell in the middle of the second round after receiving one left to the face.
After rejoining, Tito took him to the ropes and reconnected with a hook to the jawbone, causing Ceja to fall forward and referee Roberto Ramirez did not hesitate to stop the fight at 2:48 minutes.
"When I connected with that second left I knew he was gone because that has always been my strong hand," said Acosta, 26.
"I expected a stronger fight and I thought it would last a little longer, but we did a good job in the gym and we worked hard with the left, which is my strong hand."
The fight was witnessed by WBO president Francisco 'Paco' Valcárcel, who predicted that by winning the Latin title, Tito will be in an ideal position to fight for the world title early next year.
"For me, he should be fighting for the title for May," Valcárcel said, adding that "that left reminded me of the Wilfredo Gomez of this life."