Liverpool’s Peter McGrail (9-1, 5 KOs) got his career back on track with a wide decision win against Marc Leach (18-4-1, 4 KOs) in the main event of Matchroom’s NXTGEN bill tonight in Liverpool, England. 

The judges scored unanimously with cards of 100-90, 99-91 and 99-91 for McGrail to pick up the WBA international super bantamweight title. 

The amateur standout and Tokyo Olympian was coming off a surprise knockout loss to Ja’Rico O’Quinn last December in Glendale, Arizona, who was meant to be in a rematch tonight in McGrail’s hometown, but the American withdrew. 

“Obviously coming off a loss it was important to win,” McGrail said, post-fight. “Obviously headlining in my own city there was obviously a bit of pressure on myself off the back of a loss. 

“But we have passed the test with flying colors, against a tough opponent. He stayed in there, fair play to him. He gave me 10 good rounds there. I’m just over the moon with the win.

“The word is that he [Quinn] pulled out due to family-personal matters. But I reckon he s*** himself, he doesn’t want to be in the ring with me. To be honest, I don’t really dive into all the social-media bulls*** that much, but all his family, all his brothers have been messaging me since that fight. Get him over here, or I’ll come over to America to fight him.”

McGrail started on the front foot against Leach, working behind a right hand to the body. The pair exchanged near the halfway point of the first round, with McGrail landing a straight left to the head. McGrail cut off the ring, cornering Leach and again worked the body, but Leach responded with a jab to halt the attack. 

McGrail again started confidently to begin the second and the Liverpudlian was boxing well and looking confident. McGrail’s relentless pressure continued, his right-left combinations had him coming out top every time the two traded, but Leach still looked comfortable and his chin was holding up. 

Round three opened with McGrail landing a straight right to the head with Leach on the ropes. McGrail stalked Leach until he caught him with a left to the body, shortly followed by a smart right jab upstairs. McGrail was made to work for the round, but he was boxing nicely. 

The Liverpool fighter’s forward-thinking approach continued into the fourth. The pressure was relentless as his right to the body and quick left hand had Leach struggling for answers with the fight becoming one way traffic. It was a similar story in the sixth, as the two clashed heads to open the round. An eye-catching right to the head had got Leach’s attention more than ever before a swelling appeared below his right eye. Leach seemed in some trouble, ending the round on the back-foot and barely throwing a punch until the bell.

The fight’s ever-present theme continued into the sixth and seventh. McGrail’s skill, variation and pressure had Leach coming up with little response. By the time round eight arrived, it was McGrail's fight to lose and only another disastrous knockout could get in the Liverpudlian’s way of a well-earned victory. 

McGrail continued to press on, landing a left to the head. However, Leach saw a rare left of his own land but nothing followed behind it. McGrail’s dominance continued as he scored with another precise left to close the round.

McGrail maintained his pressure into the ninth, but Leach had done relatively well to avoid danger for the most part. The final minute of the round became scrappier, but McGrail would always find some success with his left. 

McGrail landed a right-left to start the 10th and final round. He continued to look good until time was called, and a flashy combination with 40 seconds on the clock was the pick of the bunch although McGrail received a nasty cut above the right eye to blemish a near perfect performance.