Pernell Whitaker captured Olympic Gold at the 1984 Los Angeles Olympics. One of only a handful fighters in history to win titles in four different weight classes, Sweat Pea compiled a professional record of 40-4-1, 17 KO's. Whitaker was inducted into the Boxing Hall of Fame in Canastota, NY in 2007.
Here's a look at Sweet Pea's statistical achievements:
• Pernell "Sweet Pea" Whitaker is one of only seven fighters in CompuBox's 26-year history to landed 500 or more punches in a fight.
• Whitaker and 1984 Olympic teammate Meldrick Taylor landed 400-plus punches in a title fight three time each.
• Whitaker LANDED 286 jabs (an average of 24 per round) in his decision win over fellow Hall of Famer Azumah Nelson (5/19/90). The lightweight avg. is 4 landed per round.
• Whitaker's 286 jabs landed vs. Nelson is second all time in CompuBox history. Whitaker also landed 272 jabs in his W 12 over Santos Cardona, the 5th most in CompuBox history. (Ike Quartey holds the record with 313 landed jabs in his draw vs. Jose Luis Lopez (10/10/97)
• Whitaker outlanded Julio Cesar Chavez 311-220 in total punches in their controversial draw on 9/10/93. Whitaker landed 46% of his power punches vs. Chavez. Whitaker landed 50 punches in round 8 vs. Chavez, the 2nd most by a JCC opponent. #1 is the 53 that fellow Olympian Meldrick Taylor landed vs. Chavez in round 10 of their epic fight.