WBA "regular" welterweight champion Manny Pacquiao is hoping to keep his knockout streak going.
As previously reported on BoxingScene.com Pacquiao is ready to get back in the ring in the United States for the first time since 2016 — against four division world champion Adrien Broner.
Pacquiao announced Thursday at a news conference in Manila that he wants to defend his secondary welterweight world title in January. The fight against Broner, which Pacquiao indicated is “90 percent” done, and he expects it to be held in Las Vegas on either Jan. 12 or Jan. 19.
Broner, 29, a Cincinnati fighter who has compiled a 33-3-1 record with 24 KOs and world titles in four weight classes, lost a decision to Mikey Garcia in July 2017, then fought to a draw with Vargas in April.
“It is almost final but it is not yet there,” Pacquiao (60-7-2, 39 KOs) said at a charity function about the Broner deal.
Set to turn 40 in December, he wants Broner to be his next knockout victim.
Pacquiao, back in July, stopped Lucas Matthysse in seven rounds - which was Pacquiao's first knockout win since November of 2009.
He wants to secure the same result or better against Broner.
“If I can finish it earlier than seven rounds, why not,” said Pacquiao, who is the only boxer in history to win world titles in eight weight classes.
By defeating Broner, the fight possibly could set up a rematch with Floyd Mayweather next spring. About two weeks ago, Pacquiao signed with Premier Boxing Champions founder Al Haymon to become his adviser. Haymon’s fighters include Broner plus world champions Errol Spence Jr., Shawn Porter and Keith Thurman.
Pacquiao lost a decision to Mayweather in their welterweight title unification bout in 2015. The two talked in September regarding a rematch.
The most recent fight for Pacquiao in the United States was in Las Vegas in November 2016, when he won by a decision against Jessie Vargas to earn the WBO welterweight world title.