By Elisinio Castillo
Nobody knows where the return of heavyweight Odlanier Solis will happen, but at least the Olympic gold medal winner can return without the possibility of a legal issue.
Ahmet Oner of Arena Boxing, the former promoter of the 2004 Athens Olympic champion, and Solis' new team EC Boxing have reached an agreement that will allow him to start from scratch after monetary compensation.
"Fortunately, everything was sorted quickly without having to go to court or anything like that. Solis still has an important name in Germany and he can earn some money and regain its reputation," a source told George Ebro.
After more than a year of being away from the ring, Solis (20-3, 13 KO) returned to action on August 5th to beat Milos Doveden (2-26), a journeyman that gave the boxer a quick veteran.
Shortly after announcing that Solis would fight Sept. 17 in Germanic lands, it triggered a threat of legal action from Oner.
Oner insisted that he still possessed a legally valid contract with Solis, signed in February 2014, and included an extension for five years and was filed before what he considered the retreat of his fighter.
There were several meetings between the teams to discuss the agreement with Arena and they were able to reach an agreement on the outstanding issue.
"We were under the impression that those who are guiding the career of Solis right now have the best of intentions," the source said.
Between 2014 and 2015, Solis lost back to back defeats to Tony Thompson - who ironically was knocked out earlier this year by Solis' countryman, undefeated WBA interim-champion puncher Luis Ortiz.