By Miguel Rivera
Given the uncertainty over whether or not Mikey Garcia (37-0, 30 KOs) will stay at 140 pounds or return to 135 pounds, World Boxing Council President Mauricio Sulaiman commented that the California fighter told the sanctioning body that he will return to lightweight to defend his green belt and gold belt against an opponent to be confirmed in the month of June.
"Mikey Garcia will stay at lightweight, he will defend the WBC title and when there is something firm we will announce it," said Sulaiman to ESPN Deportes.
A few weeks ago, Garcia advised the International Boxing Federation that he planned to remain at junior welterweight to defend his IBF title.
One of the possibilities for Garcia at 135 pounds is to unify with the IBF champion Robert Easter Jr., who is one of the few options in terms of boxers who generate more attention in the division now that the possibility of the fight against Jorge Linares is out - since the Venezuelan boxer will defend his WBA belt against Vasyl Lomachenko on May 12 at Madison Square Garden in New York.
Last month, Garcia became a four division world champion after winning a wide decision over Sergey Lipinets to capture the IBF title in Texas.
The WBC had ordered Garcia to make a mandatory defense against Linares, who also holds the the 'Diamond' title of the sanctioning body.
But then Linares reached an agreement to fight Lomachenko.
At junior welterweight, the IBF has already ordered Garcia to make a mandatory defense against undefeated contender Ivan Baranchyk.
Garcia's last two outings have taken place at 140-pounds, and he's been away from the lightweight division since capturing the WBC title last January with a brutal knockout over Dejan Zlaticanin.
Garcia has targeted a number of possible opponents in the last few months, including a few at welterweight.