By Miguel Rivera
Cristian Mijares explained that is wasn't his fault for the fallout in the scheduled fight against Miguel Berchelt.
The fight had been set to take place on February 10 for Berchelt's super featherweight title of the World Boxing Council, and Mijares makes it known that it was not his fault that an agreement could not be reached.
Mijares announced that he would be back on March 17 in Cancun against a opponent to be defined - although former champion Wilfredo "Papito" Vázquez Jr. is mentioned as a possibility.
Vazquez lost his last three bouts and he's been out of the ring since losing by way of a TKO at the hands of his Puerto Rican rival, Juan Manuel Lopez, in October 2016.
The promoter Pepe Gómez, who leads Mijares' career, said that the agreement for the fight with Berchelt fell through because there was a disagreement over the television rights.
Mijares fights on Televisa and Berchelt fights on TV Azteca and the two sides were trying to work out a deal, that didn't come through, with the fight being carried on both networks - because they were unable to line up the same date for both networks.
Berchelt held a press conference earlier this week and verbally blasted Mijares for the withdrawal, but the veteran makes it clear that it wasn't his fault.
"I am the most hurt by this, losing a title fight against a great champion Miguel Berchelt was not ideal and I feel disappointed. They told me on Monday that the fight had fallen through and it hit me hard, but it was not my problem. I read the comments from the champion but I do not know in the end what happened, I also expect an explanation," said Mijares to ESPN Deportes.
"There is talk of [fighting] Wilfredo [Vazquez], the plan is to come back and fight. Things happen for a reason, and for me it is necessary to turn the page from Berchelt, disappointed or not. The champion fights on February 10 and we will see if he will give me a title opportunity later. I already achieved my dreams."