Lightweight prospect Michael Dutchover defeated Ivan Leon Benitez Sunday afternoon at the Omega Products International in Corona, California.

Scores were 80-72, 80-72, and 78-74 for Dutchover, who improves to 15-1, 10 knockouts.

Dutchover, who is originally from Midland, Texas and now lives and trains in the Los Angeles suburb of Santa Fe Springs, was fighting for the first time since defeating Jorge Barron, Jr. on July 26. He was scheduled to fight on a Thompson Boxing Promotions card on May 28, but the fight was postponed. 

The 23-year-old started slow, but finally got into a rhythm by round 3. Dutchover utilized lateral movement and angles to throw and land right hands behind a consistent jab. 

Benitez was game, attempting to connect with lead and counter left hooks to the head, but Dutchover was able to effectively outbox Benitez from the outside. Dutchover did have to deal with a cut that opened over his left eye from an accidental clash of heads in round 6, but his corner was able to prevent a lot of blood from seeping out, which would have made it more difficult for Dutchover to see.

Dutchover was glad to finally return to the ring, but hopes he can fight again in September. He wants to stay active and is glad he was able to get rounds in Sunday against Benitez.

“I’m glad the fight went the distance,” said Dutchover, who is trained by Danny Zamora and co-promoted by Thompson Boxing and Banner Promotions. “I was feeling a little tired after the fourth round. I go cut in round 6 because of a mistake I made going forward.

“I need these types of fights against these types of fighters. (Benitez) had 20 fights. He’s been around. I’m glad he brought it to me today (inside the ring). I needed that. I give myself a C-. I’m hard on myself. I need to learn from these mistakes to be better when I fight again in September.”

Benitez, who is originally from Queretaro, Mexico and now resides in Cancun, drops to 14-5-1, 6 KOs. 

Unbeaten junior middleweight Richard Brewart, Jr. defeated Donte Stubbs by unanimous decision. Scores were 60-54, 60-54, and 58-56 for Brewart, who improves to 10-0, 4 KOs. 

Brewart and Stubbs exchanges words during Saturday’s weigh-in, leading to both fighters having to be separated after Stubbs initiated the trash-talk. The fight was not devoid of action, but did not live up to the fireworks it was anticipated because of the trash-talk as Brewart was the more-superior fighter and dictated the action throughout much of the fight.

Through the first half of the fight, Brewart effectively boxed from the outside, initiating exchanges and outboxing Stubbs to the head and body. Sensing he was down on the scorecards, Stubbs was the aggressor during the last two rounds of the fight, throwing and landing right hands to the head of Brewart. 

With about a minute left in round 6, a punch to the stomach hurt Stubbs. Brewart followed up, but exhausted himself from the amount of punches thrown leading up to the bell sounding to end the round and the fight.

The victory over Stubbs was a more-impressive performance compared to his previous fight against Nathan Weston on February 21, which Brewart won by split-decision although several who watched the fight thought Weston did enough to win. Brewart believes he learned a lot of himself in that fight and should be considered a legit prospect after defeating Stubbs.

“I’ve fought three prospects back-to-back-to-back,” said Brewart, who resides in nearby Rancho Cucamonga and is trained by Henry Ramirez. “A lot of young fighters today are babied. I know say ‘no’ to fights (if they’re offered to me).”

Stubbs, who resides in Riverside, drops to 6-2 1 NC, 2 KOs. 

In the opening bout of the ‘3.2.1 Boxing’ card, junior featherweight Jose Sanchez (7-0, 5 KOs) of Cathedral City, California knocked out Andrew Strode at 1:40 of round 3.

Strode (6-1, 1 KO) who resides in Aurora, Colorado, won the opening round, but Sanchez landed the more-effective punches during the following round. Sanchez landed vicious hooks and crosses to the head and body of Strode, who began to look worse for wear in round 3, prompting referee Raul Caiz, Sr. to step in and stop the fight.

Francisco A. Salazar has written for BoxingScene since September of 2012 and has covered boxing in Southern California and abroad since 2000. Francisco also covers boxing for the Ventura County (Calif.) Star newspaper. He can be reached by email at or on Twitter at FSalazarBoxing.