NEWARK, New Jersey – Jordan Rosario made the most of his opportunity against an unbeaten opponent Saturday night.

Jersey City’s Rosario entered their bout with a 3-10 record, but he upset Nicky Vitone by split decision in their four-round welterweight fight at Prudential Center. Judges James Kinney and John McKaie scored the fight the same, 39-37 for Rosario, on the non-televised portion of the Michael Coffie-Jonnie Rice undercard at Prudential Center.

Judge John Signorile scored the back-and-forth action 39-37 for Vitone (5-1-1, 4 KOs), of Montville, New Jersey.

Vitone landed the flusher punches consistently during the third round, but Rosario drilled him with a left hook at the start of the fourth round. Rosario’s right hand landed clean later in the fourth round, but VItone took it well and drilled Rosario with a right hand of his own shortly thereafter.

Vitone’s combination in the center of the ring made Rosario move away from him in the middle minute of the fourth round.

Just a few seconds after Vitone unloaded a combination, Rosario staggered Vitone with a left hand early in the second round. A right hand by Rosario moved VItone backward later in the second round.

Following Rosario’s shocking victory, Newark native Michael Anderson didn’t get nearly as much out of his opponent as he had hoped.

DeMarcus Rogers claimed he couldn’t continue due to an injury following the first round of their scheduled six-round welterweight bout. Anderson (20-4-1, 15 KOs), a resident of nearby East Orange, won by technical knockout over Rogers (14-4-1, 5 KOs), of Chattanooga, Tennessee.

In the first fight Saturday night, Malik Nelson delivered the type of dominant performance his hometown fans came to see in his pro debut.

Nelson, a southpaw from Avenel, New Jersey, dropped Alejandro Ramirez twice in the first round and stopped him in the final round of a four-round lightweight bout. Their one-sided bout was stopped 34 seconds into the fourth round because Nelson landed too many unanswered punches for referee Ricky Gonzalez's liking.

Ramirez, of Northglenn, Colorado, dropped to 0-2.

After flooring Ramirez twice during the first round, Nelson essentially took target practice on a retreating Ramirez throughout the second and third rounds. Ramirez drilled Nelson with a left hook late in the second round that got Nelson’s attention.

Nelson sent Ramirez to the canvas with a short, left hand he landed inside early in the first round. Ramirez reached his feet quickly, but Ramirez dropped him again with another left hand toward the end of the opening round.

Keith Idec is a senior writer/columnist for He can be reached on Twitter @Idecboxing.