Former five division world champion Floyd Mayweather told TMZ Sports that his fight in Tokyo against Tenshin Nasukawa is back on.
Mayweather, 41, announced in September a ‘huge boxing event’ in Japan and made it official Nov. 4, announcing a ‘super bout challenge’ against 20-year-old Japanese kickboxing sensation Nasukawa on December 31 in Tokyo.
He backed out three days later, saying he’d been conned with the fight details, and is now insisting a mere week later “we’re going to make it happen.”
In calling the fight off, Mayweather said he was misled by fight promoters, Rizin - although he flew out to Tokyo and took part in a full press conference to officially announce the fight - claiming that he didn't want to create a scene at the presser.
In his Instagram post, he wrote that he was initially asked to participate in an exhibition against a selected opponent for a group of wealthy spectators for a “very large fee.”
Earlier this week, Rizin issued a statement to the press - which revealed their intention to work out the issues with Mayweather.
Mayweather told TMZ Sports this week that the money is keeping him in the fight.
“It’s a no-brainer. Just because I’m retired from boxing,” Mayweather said. “I still make appearances worldwide and make a ton of money.”
Mayweather, who retired back in August 2017 after stopping UFC superstar Conor McGregor in ten rounds, has a record of 50-0 with 27 knockouts. Tenshin is also undefeated, with a record of 27-0 with 21 knockouts as a kickboxer.
As BoxingScene.com first reported, the contest is going to a be a three round exhibition - fought under boxing rules.
“Rules? It’s gonna be a little boxing exhibition. No kicking,” Mayweather said. “I’m moving around with the guy for 9 minutes, and of course it’s gonna be the highest paid exhibition ever.”