By Miguel Rivera
Undefeated Puerto Rican super featherweight Christopher "Pitufo" Diaz is under fire, as his former manager/trainer Ricky Marquez filed a lawsuit against him for breach of contract.
Marquez, who is also the trainer and manager of Felix Verdejo, filed a lawsuit on Wednesday and demands compensation in the amount of $80,000.
Diaz broke away from Marquez a year ago.
Díaz began training in New Jersey, where he started working under the tutelage of Raul "Chino" Rivas.
Since then, he has fought twice and is now scheduled to fight for the vacant WBO world title on July 28th against Japan's Masayuki Ito.
"I'm focused on my fight, no distractions or anything. If that's what he wanted to try to do, I do not know if that was the goal, but he did not succeed. I'm focused on my fight," said Diaz to Antolin Rios.
"I am a professional person, I have my family and I have to provide for them. I do not know his reasons for doing this. The only thing I have to do is to continue my career. I'm going to fight on July 28 and I promise that I will win the world title.
"First they told me that I was wrong [to leave Marquez]. Then they saw an improvement when I was with Chino training; We are doing a good job and on July 28 they will see the results."
Díaz was emphatic that he would not be in the position he is now, if he had remained with the same team led by Marquez. Now with a new corner, Diaz feels he is on the right path to achieve his goal of winning a belt.
"That's definitive. I think that [if I had stayed in the same scenario with] Ricky Marquez I would never have been a world champion," Diaz said.